1st Timer - Itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Gullaker
NewbieCake

1st Timer - Itinerary

Post by Gullaker »

Im an exprerienced backpacker taking 2 first timers (and another)on their first trip. They are all fit women but all are over 45. The other one is 65 but has been on several hikes in the Smokeys and shouldnt have much trouble.

Here is the itinerary I am considering for the group.
Water Taxi to Chipawa Harbor for 1st night
Chipawa to W. Chickenbone Lake for 2nd night (7.2 Miles)
W. Chickenbone to Hatchet Lake for 3rd night (7.7 Miles)
Hatchet Lake to McCargo Cove for 4th night (10.2 Miles)
McCargo Cove to Daisy Farm for 5th Night (8 Miles)
Daisy Farm to 3 Mile via Greenstone to catch Ojibway & Mt. Franklin for 6th Night (6.4 Miles)
Out to Copper Harbor the next day. (2.7 Miles) to Rock Harbor

I like the route because it allows the flexibility to get back to Rock Harbor early if we need to by going straight from Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor. The days are all pretty moderate so we wont be setting out on a death march each day(It would probably be my death in the end), but Im worried about the hike from Hatchet Lake to McCargo Cove. We do have the option to bypass Hatchet Lake and go to Todd Harbor that day before. I wanted to fit Moskey Basin and Chipawa into the hike, but there is no really good way to do it without cutting out either the hike to Ojibway Tower & Mount Franklin or the section to Hatchet Lake/Todd Harbor. I could shorten the days considerably but they have made it clear they want to hike not sit in camp. Any input would be great.
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: 1st Timer - Itinerary

Post by Don_P »

I've done everything except the W. Chickenbone to Hatchet Lake - very doable route.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Take them out for a practice hike with loaded packs to see how they will perform and so they are acutely aware of carrying a pack all day-and they will pare thier load down!!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

The Hatchet to McCargoe will be your most difficult day if it is along the Minong, but it's also your 4th day, so the packs will be lighter and the legs tougher. Start early and take your time.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
JonG
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by JonG »

Let me see......Hatchet or Todd Harbor...hmmm. Nothing wrong with Hatchet, but Todd Harbor is imo one of the best campgrounds on the island. You have a chance for a Kodak moment at sunset over by the group sites at Todd. Don't know if it works into your itinerary but I thought I'd give my opinion anyway.
Gullaker
NewbieCake

Post by Gullaker »

Yeah I thought about that. I might change it to W. Chickenbone lake to Todd Harbor and then Todd Harbor to McCargo Cove.