Inland fishing for backpackers?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

hammb
NewbieCake

Inland fishing for backpackers?

Post by hammb »

We're planning our first trip to the island for this summer (last week of July). Our main goal of the trip is backpacking from Windigo back to Rock Harbor. We're arriving in RH on a Saturday, taking the Voyageur II from RH to Windigo on Sunday, then hiking back to RH to catch our ferry home on Friday. We haven't planned our exact route/stops yet, but will probably be along the Greenstone for much of the way. My hiking buddies are NOT fisherman, and fishing is not one of the primary reasons for the trip. We wouldn't be planning any days around fishing, and probably wouldn't ask them to stop hiking long enough for me to do any fishing.

What I wasn't sure of, however, is if any of the campsites around such a route would offer the opportunity to fish if we've already stopped to camp for the day? I don't own a fishing pole or anything that would be considered "backpack capable" so I'd have to buy the equipment, and honestly not certain how frequently I'd ever use such a thing. If you guys tell me that a few evenings along the trip we'd be able to set up camp for the night and I could relax and cast for some pike along the way I'd probably look into purchasing some lightweight fishing gear to put in the pack.

Just curious, as a newbie getting excited about planning the maiden voyage!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Inland fishing for backpackers?

Post by Ingo »

Lakes Desor and Hatchet don't have any fish to speak of, but Chickenbone and Richie do. I guess the question is whether it's worth it for one or two times. Personally if I was only camping at one of those, I wouldn't carry the weight--if camping at both, maybe.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hammb
NewbieCake

Post by hammb »

Gotcha, I guess it never even occurred to me that there might be lakes that don't really hold any fish at all...although now that you mention it I'm almost certain I did look at that chart on here that mentioned some lakes not having a fish population.

You hit exactly on what I was thinking...is it worth carrying the weight for only one or two evenings? I'm leaning towards not, but I know it will be itching at me if we're camped next to one of those places and I don't have a shot to just see what's lurking under there!

But boy a couple extra pounds adds up in a full pack!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I have that debate everytime I go. Last time I decided we wouldn't have enough "fishable" locations to justify it, and the whole time I was wishing I had it. That said, I am glad I didnt have to carry it! haha.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I'm really not a fisherman, but did pack along a small rod/reel when we backpacked to Moskey many years back. We hiked up to Lake Richie one afternoon and spent a few hours fishing. Didn't catch anything, but had a great time and was glad I packed the fishing gear.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I will preface this by saying I enjoy fishing, particularly IR. When kayaking, I have a few rods that I bring. If backpacking, my route always includes at least 1 lake to fish. you don't need a lot of equipment, I carry a 2 pc med light 6'6" spinning rod and a 2500 series spinning reel spooled with 8# test line. On the end of the line is a 12" lightweight steel leader. I have spoken to a guide who flyfishes for pike (I have done it a few times on IR-more fun than I guessed!!) who uses 20# florocarbon line as a leader. You can get by with a few lures. I bring a jointed 7 or 9 perch colored Rapala, a #4 Mepps Black Fury with a brass blade (sunny days) and my go to Daredevil 1/2oz 5 of Diamonds. Others have their favorites and may include them. If you are going during summer, it is worth it to bring a top water bait!! I bring a pair of foreceps for hook removal (also a pair of jaw spreaders). There is something about catching a pike on IR!!
Make sure you consult the Greenstone abut fishing inland lakes (no license required), you have to pinch the barbs on the hook/s . I remove either 1 hook of a treble hook or remove the treble hook and replace with a single hook.