canoeing or kayaking from rock harbor to chippewa harbor

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

robin621
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 5

canoeing or kayaking from rock harbor to chippewa harbor

Post by robin621 »

Could I forgo the portage from Moskey Basin to Lake Richie and canoe directly to chip harbor? The Lady would definitely determine this. I want to get to lake whittlesey and wood lake ASAP or should I take the more convential route by portaging through richie to chip harbor? Thoughts?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: canoeing or kayaking from rock harbor to chippewa harbor

Post by johnhens »

How much experience do you have? Another option would be to catch a ride on the Voyageur to Chippewa. If you paddel there how do you plan on getting back?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

As John H said, it depends alot on your experience. Conditions can change quickly on Superior and it will take at least a couple hours to do the 6 miles of open water. Conditions may be perfect when you start that stretch, but not necessarily when you finish. The shoreline is not real friendly if you have to beach. Fog can also be an issue. And of course the water is cold. That said, it has been done, but I would say "No" unless you're comfortable paddling in significant waves on big water and are willing/able to manage the risks.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

Thanks for the advice gentlemen:) I have lots of canoeing & kayaking experience, but I don't do it everyday. I do hike several mountains a week here in Phoenix. Last year, I followed the shoreline to Moskey Basin from Rock Harbor, however, the water was calm. I hugged the shoreline most of the time and really enjoyed, trolling for lake trout with cast masters. The portage to Lake Ritchie was challenging, but certainly manageable. I guess I was sort of thinking out loud a little...saving some time and avoiding the portage sounded better than carrying a canoe. I guess I'll have to hit the gym more before July 12th...nothing wrong with getting into even better shape I suppose.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I know people who have canoed the stretch you talk about. It can be done assuming the weather cooperates. If you took the Voyaguer, you could get dropped off at Chippewa and paddle through to Siskiwit and get picked up at Malone Bay. Good lake trout fishing in Siskiwit. If you do opt to paddle to Chippewa, a weather radio is a must IMO (an electric trolling motor is nice too :) ).
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

That was an experience! Decided to portage from Moskey to Ritchie and hit all the other lakes in the vicinity as well. Chip to Rock was challeging due to the fog and the terrible weather conditions. No white caps, but some big rollers. Made it safe and sound, however, a NPS ranger boat almost knocked us over about 1 mile from Rock Harbor. The wake from his/her boat was 3 ft. We had to turn the canoe around quickly and take the wake head on. Everything ended well, but that was an unexpected surprise.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

robin621 wrote:That was an experience! Decided to portage from Moskey to Ritchie and hit all the other lakes in the vicinity as well. Chip to Rock was challeging due to the fog and the terrible weather conditions. No white caps, but some big rollers. Made it safe and sound, however, a NPS ranger boat almost knocked us over about 1 mile from Rock Harbor. The wake from his/her boat was 3 ft. We had to turn the canoe around quickly and take the wake head on. Everything ended well, but that was an unexpected surprise.
Hey Robin, waiting for the real trip report :D .

Yeh, you would think a ranger would know better. Most do, and are considerate, as well as safe.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

Ingo, your advice was right on! Fog, wave patterns and weather all changes during the 6 mile stretch. I will add to the Trip Reports strand:)

robin