Rock Harbor to Belle Isle

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

johnp
NewbieCake

Rock Harbor to Belle Isle

Post by johnp »

Newbie Kayaker(s - 3) - Thinking Rock Harbor to Belle Isle. Looks like from Map, a portage to Tobin Harbor, paddle across, portage into Duncan Bay, paddle across, portage into Five Finger, then Stockly, then portage to Lane Cove then over to Belle Isle. From what I read, Belle Isle is beautiful!

First - Is this Do-able? or advisable?

Second - Break it up staying in Duncan Bay campground, or do-able in big a day?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Rock Harbor to Belle Isle

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi,

The portage from Tobin across the Greenstone will take the most time and by far the most effort. You could probably get it all done in one push if you are coming on the Queen from Copper Harbor. The Ranger arrives a bit later and the Voyager arrives too late to get all the way there comfortably. The other portages are easy, except for loading/unloading gear.

What do your kayaks weigh? Kayaks tend to be a little more awkward to portage even with a yoke. My wife and I did the Chippewa Harbor to Moskey Basin loop with plastic expedition kayaks some years back and never again! 2 people carrying each kayak means many trips and much discomfort.

If it's windy the stretch from Lane Cove to Belle Isle can look like a long way, but there are plenty of options for waiting it out.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

While it's obviously a lot longer, why not paddle?

Much of it is sheltered by islands and you'll get to see a terrific part of the island.

Just don't head down Duncan thinking it's Five Finger...

ETA: Actually, you probably could head down Duncan Bay. There's a little isthmus between Duncan and Five Finger Bay at the bottom of Duncan Bay on the NW side.

I'm just looking at nautical charts, though. I have no idea what the portage would be like.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

John P, welcome to the forums!

This is a great trip! Highly recommended! Many moons ago when I worked at Rock Harbor I would leave in the late afternoon with my canoe and make Belle Isle before (or sometimes by) sundown. I did only carry a sleeping bag, stove, and food for a day, however. But you don't have to worry about making Belle Isle: Duncan Narrows, Duncan Bay, and Lane Cove campgrounds are all excellent, so no need to rush.

Last summer my daughter and I did a canoe trip through this area from McCargoe to R.H. Here's a link to our trip report and pics. I'm fairly compulsive about logging times, so it will give you an idea--although both paddling and portaging kayaks is different from canoes.
http://moskeybasin.com/IR2009/Main.html

Given that you're self-proclaimed "newbie" kayakers, the route you laid out is appropriate--don't even consider skipping the portages for the open water. But remember that even in the bays the water is cold, hypothermia a danger, and you're in the wilderness--so knowing and practicing "worst case scenerio" skills are important. I'm sure the kayakers will chime in (John H do you hear me?? :D )

As Bob pointed out, the big obstacle is the portage from Tobin Harbor to Duncan Bay. It took me and my daughter about 2 hrs. On an earlier trip with the whole family it was about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. It's 0.8 miles, but the killer is that it's up and over the Greenstone Ridge. The north side is very steep, with a couple switchbacks near the top. I split it in two, hauling everything to the top before doing the other side. You may not think so at the time, but it is worth it! I met a lady on one trip who said it took her, her husband, a 5 yr old and a toddler about 8 hrs with kayaks! Obviously the extreme (we hope :? ), but she came back!

I'm also with Bob on portaging kayaks, but there are others here who do it and don't think it's so bad. A carrying yoke sounds like a good idea to me. I find 2 people carrying anything pretty awkward, especially on a trail. That said, the other 2 portages and short and easy--if you made 4 trips back and forth it wouldn't be a big deal.

Have a great trip!

John I.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

John P,
Welcome to the forums.
A couple of questions. What kind of kayaks? When are you going? Prior experiences (paddling, backapcking ect)
Do you plan on portaging both ways?
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Ditto what John stated. More info needed.

Man I hate portaging...with kayaks. Depending on the gear and size of your boats, you'd most definitely be doubling up on the carrying of each kayak, then making at least one additional trip for you gear.

If weather is absolutely pristine (as newbies), you can still make it around Scoville and Blake Point, into the area you want to paddle. Incredibly beautiful shoreline around the NE side and the Pallisades. Not to mention the paddle into Duncan. Reason I bring this up is because if the conditions are calm with a stable forecast (beware, Superior makes its own weather) and you have the proper gear, why not take advantage of not having to portage and experience some fascinating part of IR. It won't take you that long to paddle from Rock to Duncan. Then, if you don't want to paddle the long way around Locke and Hill Points, you can make the easy portages between to get you to Belle.

Just a thought....

I've paddled the island quite a bit. If you have any other questions, let us know!

Regards,

Damon
discoverykayak
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by discoverykayak »

Here is a slick way I've found to portage gear and a Kayak at the same time.

Get a cheep or worn out climbing harness. They are made of nylon straps and have a lot of gear loops attached to them. I use cheap beaners from Wal-Mart and clip one on each drybag, then attach the cliped bags to the belt. If you're not packing a ton of gear this is a real slick way to utilize your body as a pack mule. You don't need sholders or hands to carry gear. Just have to get smart about your portage trips!
Note: Put the bigger/longer items on your hips and the smaller items in front and behind you as the larger bags are then less likely to swing in front/behind you. This will provide you with an overall better experience with your portage.

:idea: This method of portaging with a climbing harness and clipped bags would obviously work with canoes too, but typically canoeists don't use a bunch of small drybags but rather one water resistant backpack and a food drum. Obviously this is due to packing differences in boat storage design.

I did several portages in Boundary waters using my old climbing harness and it was awesome. However, my 68 pound plastic Dagger with yoke was a nightmare. I'd never plan to portage that thing more than an 8th mile at a time on a trip. Fiberglass of Kevlar is totally with way to go with a portage kayak. Then you don't even really need the yoke! Again, less to carry is the key!
Damon S
Trailblazer

Post by Damon S »

I like that idea! I usually swing em over my shoulder or carry some larger mesh bags that collapse down real small so I don't compromise my packing room in my hatches/cockpit.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Damon,

Stop it. I am starting to see your point and am getting an urge to paddle around Blake Point. As I continue to gain more and more experience in my canoe from paddling big border lakes, I feel like I could do it as long as the conditons are calm. I always carry a NOAA weather radio and would only attempt it in light winds. I also carry a SPOT with me just in case.

I have no idea when my next IR trip will be but I will see if I can make a trip in late summer. Back in 2004 I rode the VII all the way around the island and the NE side was stunning to me. The palisades, Blake Point and the stretch to Rock Harbor Lodge would be an absolute treat to explore by paddling.

Here is my thought as of today. I would take the VII on a Wednesday and return on a Sunday so that would give me 4 nights.
Day 1- Get dropped off at Belle Isle
Day 2- Paddle to Duncan Narrows, taking a break at Lane Cove so I can experience that area.
Day 3- Get up early and get on the water at the crack of dawn, leave Duncan Narrows for Blake Point and camp at Merritt Lane for the night. (Weather permitting of course, if not then I take the Duncan-Tobin portage).
Day 4- Paddle from Merritt Lane to Rock Harbor and camp there for the night as I have not yet camped there before and I would like to hike the Stoll Trail to Scoville Point.

I would like a longer trip but this would have to do for now if I can even make it this summer. I do have a kevlar canoe and a sea kayak. My first choice would be the canoe as if I had to portage due to weather, I want that over the kayak. Plus I can carry more gear with my canoe like my comfy camp chair and so on. I am very comfortable paddling my canoe in big water as long as conditions are reasonable. If not I have paddled in big waves before and know when it is time to get to shore.

Can I make a request? Can we get a web cam put at Blake Point so we can see that there are actually calm days every now and then?

I would most likely be solo as finding paddling partners can be difficult.
discoverykayak
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by discoverykayak »

I am also toying with a IR visit this summer. Can't land on if I want to hike or paddle... but mihgt not be able to get the trip to work either. The fingers area is amazing. I passed blake point on a mild cool morning. Waves were about 1-foot high. If you are honestly looking for a paddling partner, I would love to have spent more time kayaking this area. My vacation dates are July 22-26th. If you want to spend some time getting to know each other and see if we might make a good partnership, e-mail me at discoverykayak@yahoo.com
Damon S
Trailblazer

Post by Damon S »

I'm sorry!!

I don't mean to influence people in a dangerous way. I just like people to experience the "other" areas.

No doubt Blake and other areas to paddle can be truly extreme and change quickly. But I think some people attach a certain stigma to it and paddlers will fear it to point of never wanting to paddle it.

The nice thing about the area, despite the possibility of weather/sea conditions changing very quickly, paddlers can generally set themselves up for the rounding of Blake from both sides of the island with sheltered areas to get to fairly quickly. Merritt and surrounding islands of shelter to the south and 20 minute paddle or so from Blake to the calm waters of Duncan to the north.

I actually think some other areas can get a little more "hairy" exposure than Blake. Namely, from Locke to Hill Pt. A longer paddle and exposure. But the portages across those areas is short and can't even compare to the Duncan-Tobin portage.

Damon...
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

Don't be sorry! I am intrigued so tell us more about the NE side. How long would you estimate the paddle from Duncan Narrows campground to Merritt Lane?
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

DiscoveryKayak,

Sending you an email.
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

Calling John H and Ingo to the courtesy phone!!! Your thoughts please.......

Having Ingo's calendar right by my computer with the Belle Isle sunrise is not helping me much either with my IR itch. :D
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Scratch away moss. Scratch away.