New outfitter in Grand Marais; and a trip-log opportunity..

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

New outfitter in Grand Marais; and a trip-log opportunity..

Post by Tom »

I was approached this weekend at the Midwest Mountaineering Expo, and promised to forward the following information to the forum as it may be of interest to you.
This is not intended as a solicitation nor an endorsement of their services, I'm just fulfulling their kind request since they asked so nicely.

First, a new outfitter will be opening their doors around Memorial Day in Grand Marais, and will be offering canoe rentals for those traveling to Isle Royale. Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply. http://www.stoneharborws.com.
Proprieter Jack Stone indicates that they wish to complement Bear Track Outfitting, and not steal their existing customers, but would love to be considered if you need gear. In future years, they hope to provide guided tours to Isle Royale.

Second, http://canoeing.com (Based out of Saint Paul, MN) has a section specifically about Isle Royale. They are looking for trip-reports and travel logs for their site to help show people why they would want to go to Isle Royale. They're offering free logo hats to those that supply those stories, I would guess for a limited time. (Other locations they have in the destination guide may also qualify, as they build up the site.)
Contact Tim Eaton via the site for details if you're interested. Be sure all your trip logs reference "isleroyaleforums.com" :wink:
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: New outfitter in Grand Marais; and a trip-log opportunit

Post by jerry »

Tom,

Are we to assume that Mr. Eaton only want canoeing trip reports?

jerry
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Jerry -
That's my presumption, although I'll guess that if your trip at least somehow involved canoeing (like for a portion) he still may want to see it. After all, it's not like people can't get out of canoes during the trip and hike over to some of the sights..
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

That's a pretty dang good website. I wish I would of had the time to meet up with that guy, but he was constantly busy with people at his booth (which is good).