Never Been in a Kayak Before

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Never Been in a Kayak Before

Post by Mandolynn »

Hello,
I have never gotten in a kayak in my life, but this summer I am meeting up with some friends on IR who have promised to ferry me to Wood Lake via kayak. That means being on Siskiwit Lake only, not Lake Superior at all.

I'm a timid canoeist and can't swim. I do all right in a canoe, and I've never tipped a canoe over, but I once fell out of one of the aluminum boats that they rent at Rock Harbor. (Sad story, it was the end of my film camera and poor Rocky the Moose, our trip mascot who is in my avatar with me, got soaked clean through and had to have a "stuffing-ectomy" to get rid of the fragrance of Lake Superior fish.)

I've been thinking that I ought to take a beginner's kayaking lesson someplace before getting to the island. Overkill, or would you say for the little bit of kayaking my friends have in mind, they can talk me through it okay once we're there?
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Never Been in a Kayak Before

Post by Tampico »

You can learn to swim in a week.

Start there.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

A basic lesson can make a world of difference. I have done a lot of kayak instruction, and the difference a few hours in the kayak can make is amazing. It would also do a lot to build your confidence which is at least half the battle. Just my 2 cents, but I would take the intro lesson.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I would definitely take a class! It may be overkill, but it will probably be fun on it's own, and will definitely help your confidence and ease any stress of the experience.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I'm curious about something (and please don't take this the wrong way), can you guys really recommend kayak lessons for someone who can't swim?
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Objectively speaking.... I would tell you not to involve yourself in any water sports unless you can swim. At least increasing your comfort level in water. Learning how to tread water, swim, etc, is very important to kayaking.

Can you kayak without being able to swim? Of course. I've taught many people kayaking lessons that once out of the boat, I was dealing with an entirely different person. And it always came down to the simple fact that they needed to become more comfortable in that environment and learn how to swim for their own life. ....you life may depend on it!

Tipping over is a huge part of kayaking. You really cannot even begin to learn without learning how to get out of the boat (swim out of it from upside down). We take people who have very limited experience in the water and teach them how to effectively deal with any possible fears and swimming issues so they can learn kayaking comfortably, instead of constantly worrying about "what may happen."

Don't let this deter you, however. Go out and take a couple swimming lessons (shouldn't take that long) and then enroll in some beginning kayaking lessons.

When you accomplish that, you could definitely head out on some of the inland waterways to have some fun.

Damon...
KeyMeKoe
NewbieCake

Post by KeyMeKoe »

I agree with everything that has been said before. I should also add that it may depend on what type of kayak. In a two person rec boat and you may be fine with a pfd. In an inuit or british sea kayak, I would like you to learn to swim and practice wet exits. If it is a rec boat. You may want to carry it from Wood Lake to Lake Whittlesley. It is worth it.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

You should learn to swim before you get into a kayak. The waters are cold and swimming could save your life. I have canoed lots of times and have only flipped once, but the briskness of the cold water is scary.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH