kayaking/canoeing siskiwit lake and surrounding area

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

bac
NewbieCake

kayaking/canoeing siskiwit lake and surrounding area

Post by bac »

This may be a silly question, but here goes.
I was planning on kayaking or canoeing the area near Siskiwit Lake and I have no clue what is navigable from the maps I see online. Some maps show streams coming off of the lakes. Are these streams deep enough to paddle through? For example there is a stream that flows out of Lake Richie southeast toward Chippewa Harbor. It also looks like there are some streams in between Moskey Basin and Lake Mason.

If anyone knows of a good set of maps especially lake maps or topo maps that would be of great help. Also if anyone knows of some good routes (or routes to stay away from) that would help as well. I plan to take the boat from Houghton and then hit Chippewa Harbor, Lake Whittlesey, Siskiwit Lake, Intermediate Lake, and Lake Richie (possibly using the big lake to get there from where the ferry leaves us off?!? weather permitting?)

Not to overwhelm anyone who is responding/reading this post, I would also be interested in any and all advice regarding fishing these areas, tips, locations, tackle, gear, etc.

I appreciate the help!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: kayaking/canoeing siskiwit lake and surrounding area

Post by Ingo »

There are no navigable streams on I.R. (except a little bit to get to portages at McCargoe Cove and Moskey Basin). The Nat'l Geographic Trails Illustrated map is the standard--I use it on all my trips. I don't think USGS quads get you much more useful info for what you're doing. Don't think any good maps exist with detailed inland lake contours.

The area you're looking at is great for paddling. Coming in on the Ranger you can get dropped off at Mott island (park HQ) instead of Rock Harbor and save yourself several miles of paddling. However, you'll need to get back to R.H. for the ride home. The question of paddling on Superior to get to/from Chippewa Harbor comes up alot and depends (a) always on the weather and (b) your level of experience. For some it's no big deal, for others it's off limits. The alternative is the 2 mile portage from Moskey to Richie--not fun, but still worth it. Or take the water taxi from Rock Harbor to/from Chippewa.

The lakes create a nice circle route--other than going in and out the same way, there really isn't a choice. There isn't a bad campground, so you can't go wrong there. Intermediate is probably the least desirable, but most likely to have to yourself. All the lakes have Northern and Perch, Whittlesey has Walleye, and Siskiwit was Lake Trout. Rappela, Mepps, and Daredevils are usually recommended. Do use steel leaders for the Northern.

Hope this helps and "Welcome" to the forums!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Welcome bac!

I've done something similar to that circle a couple times, the differences being that I went the opposite direction and was dropped off via the Voyageur at McCargoe Cove and picked up at Chippewa Harbor. I haven't stayed at or fished Intermediate, only paddled through it, but I can't see anything wrong with the place. You're going to get to see a lovely side to Isle Royale that many don't experience. You should also have some lovely fishing. But don't expect to get through any of those streams you mentioned. In fact, I've found it hard to walk to Lake Mason--the path seemed to kind of peter out before we got to the actual lake. Here's a trip report from the last time I did that route, with my dad: http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=355

We didn't fish Chippewa Harbor, because we didn't have Michigan licenses.

Lake Whittlesey has always been good to me for pike, especially on both sides of the big island. They can really take you for a ride in a kayak.

We had some luck in Wood Lake and standing on shore on the channel where Wood Lake meets Siskiwit Lake (those lakes are connected). I haven't really fished Siskiwit due to winds.

At Lake Richie, the northerns were crazy between the islands. And on some of the little arms of the lake too I had good luck. Like Ingo said, my luck has been mainly with Mepps with tails and spoons, all with leaders.

Have a great time and hit us with more questions.
bac
NewbieCake

Post by bac »

Thank you all for the replies,
I have been putting together a list of things/eqpt to bring, but it would be nice to check it against someone else's list who has done the kayak/portage trip before. If you all don't mind could you post or send me a list of things to bring (or even things not to bring) or email it (baczech@mtu.edu). Or direct me to that info if it is already on this site somewhere. Thanks

Also, kevinl you mentioned in your other post "Because we had boats, I bought a couple really light, short, mesh lawn chairs from REI. So worth it." I'm not sure I really get why the chairs were worth bringing. Is it because you didn't have to carry them when you were in the boat or because you really wanted to sit down and relax after boating all day?

Anyway thanks for the responses.
bac
NewbieCake

Post by bac »

I just thought of one more thing...

Why did you take two single kayak's when you went with your dad rather than a canoe or a tandem? Is it because that was what you had available or is there another reason?

Below is the link to the kayak I own. It is a tandem so obviously I plan on going with a buddy of mine. Is a skirt necessary (not even sure if they make skirts for tandem kayaks) Can I use this kayak for the trip I described? Or would I be foolish to do so? And if it would be a poor kayak to bring along what is the reasoning and what would be a better choice. Thanks again.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/tand ... otter.html

Take Care,

bac
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Also, kevinl you mentioned in your other post "Because we had boats, I bought a couple really light, short, mesh lawn chairs from REI. So worth it." I'm not sure I really get why the chairs were worth bringing. Is it because you didn't have to carry them when you were in the boat or because you really wanted to sit down and relax after boating all day?
This is a comparison to my backpacking trip, when I wouldn't dare bring such weight as a fold up chair. Yes, they were a luxury item because the boat gave us the room and carrying ability to take them.
Why did you take two single kayak's when you went with your dad rather than a canoe or a tandem? Is it because that was what you had available or is there another reason?
That one really is about availability. I have five kayaks in my garage, and no canoes. It might have been easier to portage just one canoe, but having two kayaks gave us lots of independence too, to fish different areas and explore.
Is a skirt necessary (not even sure if they make skirts for tandem kayaks) Can I use this kayak for the trip I described? Or would I be foolish to do so? And if it would be a poor kayak to bring along what is the reasoning and what would be a better choice
First, the skirt I think would be essential, as well as dry bags. No matter what, you're going to get some water in that boat without one and it would suck to have wet sleeping bags and clothes and such. The T-200 ( http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/sk1.php ) fits that boat and might be a worthy investment. I would not take that boat without a skirt--such a big cockpit means more space for water to come in. Dry bags too.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the boat you have. The biggest advantage is that it's the boat you have, and if you take different boats you have to consider cost of renting them. It's also cheaper to ferry one boat to the island rather than two. It's easier and quicker to portage one boat, although 68 pounds is a lot of weight. But you'll have two people carrying it.

Disadvantages of the Twin Otter: I don't think that boat has dry storage space, which also doubles as flotation help. I'm not sure what the carrying capacity (weight, but also space available) for that boat is (in fact, if taking it, I would definitely take it for a test run before with ALL your gear and your partner, just to see if you can fit everything and how it feels with the weight). It does seem to have generous space front and back.

So I don't think you would be "foolish" to take this boat, as long as you're staying on inland lakes. But I have never been in a Twin Otter either. Even though you'll be staying out of Lake Superior, Siskiwit Lake and Chippewa Harbor can get a bit wavy in the wrong weather. I don't know how that boat handles that, but it certainly sits lower than a canoe. Those are both relatively short paddles with plenty of places to pull over though.

Maybe other posters have other ideas about the boat though and will chime in.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

bac wrote:I have been putting together a list of things/eqpt to bring, but it would be nice to check it against someone else's list who has done the kayak/portage trip before. If you all don't mind could you post or send me a list of things to bring (or even things not to bring) or email it (baczech@mtu.edu). Or direct me to that info if it is already on this site somewhere.
These have my gear lists in addition to pics and logs. The 2002 trip was on the inland lakes with 5 guys. 2009 was just 2 of us. Canoeing you have the advantage of a couple of big packs instead of many little ones to fit in a kayak--something to consider when portaging.
http://moskeybasin.com/IR2009/Main.html
http://moskeybasin.com/IR2002/Main.html
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

If you start out Chippewa, there is a little bay on the arm that goes towards the Whittlesley portage that is good for Northern.
Whittlesley, good walleye fishing around the islands and fish the shore for northerns in the AM and PM.

Wood lake is a great place to spend a day or two fishing. The neck between Wood and Siskiwiwt is good, there is a point that comes up off the side opposite the campsites where the neck starts that has produced pike for me. Also, there is a bay across from the little islets on the north side of the little pennisula that has produced northern.

Siskiwit will depend on the time of Summer as the lakers tend to be shallower in Spring. When are you going?
bac
NewbieCake

Post by bac »

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and information, the plan is to go in late august.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Fishing Siskiwit...
First go to the cabin near the dock. On the wall is a hydro map of the lake. I assume you will have the TI/NG map of IR (#240). I make notes of the map on the topo. August is an interesting time, the later in August the better as Fall feeding may have begun. Fish the dropoffs early in the AM and late in the day for laketrout. Generally they are deep in Summer.
The far West bay on Siskiwit is my faorite for pike, again the AM and PM are best for that.

As far as tackle, I take a 7' medium spinning rod (I have taken a baitcasting rod in the past, but harder to cast out of a kayak). I spool it with 12 or 14# Trilene XT. I use a 9" or 12" 20# leader. I have caught pike on everything from Perch Husky Jerks (Rapala), Mepps # 4 or 5 either silver blade or gold blade spinners (I prefer squirrel tail hair), though in low light I have used Firetiger. I have used plastic 6" northern pike lures. My favorite go to lure is a Five of Diamonds Daredevile (3/4 oz or better). it has consistently produced more and bigger pike than any lure I throw. I have taken a 2oz and thrown it, but the 1oz seems to be best. I take one of the hooks off a treble hook setup and pinched the other hooks per Park regs.
The Canadian folks like Williams Warblers, They work. Some folks like Johnson Minnows.
I like KO Wobblers (1/2-3/4 oz in green/silver, blue silver, orange /silver) and Little Cleo's in 1/2 oz in the same colors as well as sinking red/gold and blue/silver #5 Rapalas for lake trout. You might try jigging a white Mister Twister type curly tail bait over the reefs. I have caught them on Hot 'n Tots too w trolling.

I have tried to catch northern on a fly rod, no luck though, I continue to try to hook a northern. My girlfriend hooked a 44" on Siskiwit. We got it into shore, got it unhooked and it thrashed and swam away.
Don't forget jaw spreaders and long forceps, and of course your favorite fish seasoning!!

A note of caution, my friend had a medium sized lake trout on his stringer. A lake trout that scared him swam up grabbed the lake torut on his stringer and proceeded to take him, the kayak and fish and swim away. I paddled over to help him and to see the monster. As I paddled up, it spit the lake trout out and swam away.

Good luck!!