canoe route around the NE end for first timers.

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

canoefamily
NewbieCake

canoe route around the NE end for first timers.

Post by canoefamily »

Oh Wise Ones, We need advice for our first trip to IR. My son and I are planning a canoe trip and we would like to do a loop around the NE end of the island. We have made reservations on the Queen for next week 6-24, thurs to mon, we have tues as a bad weather day in reserve.
I saw a kayak posting about a simular route, Starting out at Rock Harbor and going clockwise around the
island. Going to Moskey Basin then little Riche, Chickenbone, McCargoe Cove, Pickel Cove, Five Finger Bay, Duncan Bay,Tobin Harbor and back toRock Harbor.
Everything I have read seems to say it takes 5-7 days. But we are thinking of doing it in 5 days 4 nights. Is it doable without killing ourselves. We aren't fishing, just "sight seeing".
Could we do it counterclockwise and get through the tuff weather dependent areas first?

We have experience with canoeing and portages as we have been to the Boundary Waters more than a dozen times. But no water as big as superior. Son is 26 and I am 50 something.
We have a 16 foot penobscot canoe and plan to have 2 duluth type paks and 2 small personal packs. We normally single trip short portgages.

Thanks for any suggestions.
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: canoe route around the NE end for first timers.

Post by colvinch »

We did a similar loop for our first trip. We did the whole loop in 4 days. Very tough going that far that fast but it can be done....all depends on weather, we go lucky and had wind in our favor every day.

Day 1 RH to Moskey
Day 2 Moskey to Richey
Day 3 Richey to McCargo
Day 4 McCargo to Lane cove
Day 5 Lane cove to RH

Day 1 we got lucky with wind and there was none and it was an easy paddle all the way down, but if there would of been wind it would of been tough
Day 4 we hit Indian point early and got lucky again, it was a little hairy but once around we had wind at our back and was pushed the rest of the way.
This was alot of paddling another day mixed in would of been nice to break up the long paddles and portages but didn't stop us from going farther the next year.

If wind is bad you may want to go counterclockwise and do it all backwards. Have fun
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

i agree with Colvinch's itinerary for a 5 day trip. If you're accustomed to full days in the BWCA you'll be fine. But the big wild card is Indian Pt, from McCargoe to Pickeral Cove. We got laid up at Birch Island for a day, and still had 2-4 footers the next--which we shouldn't have done but did.

Although I hate coming and going the same way myself, with that amount of time I'd go north across the island, go as far as Pickeral if you feel like it, then back. The Duncan/Tobin portage is a bear, but doing it twice isn't any worse than doing it and the 2 mi Moskey/Richie portage. The inland lakes have a BWCA feel--but the 5 Finger area is more unique and all the campgrounds are great. Do Belle Isle and get up at 5 for the sunrise, it's worth it :D. It also takes alot of the weather out of the picture.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
canoefamily
NewbieCake

Post by canoefamily »

Thanks for the great advice. The loop itinerary from colvinch is kinda what we were planning.
But if the inland lakes are similar to the BWCA then maybe Ingo's suggestion of heading up to five fingers and Pickeral would give us a sense of what is unique to IR. Maybe exploring coves and bays would be enough for my adventerous son who hates to do the same thing twice.

Another question I have is about campfires. Are they allowed in some campsites? We would like a couple of fires to fry a steak and roast marshmellows.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Campfires vary by campground: Duncan Narrows, Duncan Bay, and Belle Isle have grills on a pole. McCargoe, Caribou Island, and Belle Isle have communal fire rings. I think it's stoves only at the other sites along either route. It's spelled out in the Greenstone, the Park's annual "Newspaper" which you can pick up in Houghton on your way up, or download from the NPS website. Don't know if the Queen has them on board.

I don't want to downplay the inland lakes--I love them--it's just a matter of how much you want to push it. I've done all the parts, but not the actual circle route, although it's been in my playbook for years. Just don't get up there often enough.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
ddouglas55
NewbieCake

Post by ddouglas55 »

I've done that route 3 times, clockwise and counter clockwise. Weather is the prime factor. The seas around Blake Point can present a real challenge. Once you get into the interior waters you are fairly safe. Lightning on open waters is another concern. Paddle close to shore and you are in the zone of safety. Lightning will strike the land or the open water instead of you. I mention this because Lake Superior makes it's own weather and a storm can blow up at any time. Bell Isle is a real nice place to stop on your way around. Climbing up to the ridge gives you nice vista of the Islands. I've had encounters with Moose at Bell Isle that made for an exciting time! I've found it best to go while the water conditions permit and do not linger, lake conditions change fast! Enjoy you paddle and be safe.

Dave