Shore Fishing Lake Superior

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Shore Fishing Lake Superior

Post by IncaRoads »

I am planning an early June trip to Isle Royale and will be fishing the interior lakes for the first time since my first two trips in the 70’s. Since I am traveling by foot, shore fishing will be my only option. I am an avid fly fisherman and am working on acquiring the gear and lures necessary to catch northern pike.

My 5 or 6 day trip will start at McCargoe Cove and end at Chippewa Harbor. Daily trail miles will be short so I can concentrate on fishing.

Here is my primary question. Are the spring shore fishing opportunities at McCargoe Cove and Chippewa Harbor worth getting a MI fishing license? I may also be passing through Moskey Basin and Daisy Farm but I do not know if it is worth fishing at those locations.

Any other tips or recommended equipment would be appreciated.

Mark
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Shore Fishing Lake Superior

Post by johnhens »

I know folks have caught pike from the dock at Macargoe. We will be there in May and will be fishing there.
I have caught pike from the dock at Chippewa. You could fly fish at both, I intend to in May, though more so from a kayak.
I have an 8 weight 4pc outfit. I use a wire leader. Sinking tip line.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Actually, I am thinking about bringing a spinning rod and throwing some spoons, mepps, and rapalas. I do have a 9 foot 8 weight salmon/steelhead fly rod but it is a two piece; a little too long to drag through the brush.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I also bring a spinning rig. A 2500 reel spooled with 10# test. A 12" 20# test steel leader. a 7' midweight 2 pc rod.
I bring an assortment of lures including Mepps #4 or #5 with squirrel tail hair in gold and silver. I also have Williams Warblers, Johnson Silver Minnow, The Doctor Spoon(?), Rappalas and last but certainly not least, Daredevils 3/4 oz in Red and White and Five of Diamonds my go to lure.
I also have KO Wobblers in Blue and silver and green and silver and again in brass for lake trout. Little Cleos also.

Jaw spreaders and long hemostats are a must.

All hooks in inland waters must be barbless.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Jaw spreaders! I would not have thought to get them. It makes sense.

Is a 7' midweight 2 pc rod too difficult to carry on a pack, considering I will be doing a lot of brush busting? I have my eyes on a new St. Croix Triumph 6'6" Medium 4 pc travel spinning rod. Or I may borrow my friends 6' two piece fiberglass spinning rod.

As far a the type of fishing line, do you recommend monofilament or some of the high-tech lines? And would you consider bringing any extra line?

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I love St Croix rods. The 4 pc would be good.
I have always used Trilene either XT or Big Game.
I am not sold on flourocarbons for this type of fishing.
Also it is important to either wipe your line clean or carry an extra spool when going from Superior to the inland lakes to prevent the spread of invasives to the inland lakes.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Would 8# test line be sufficient?

is there a possibility of catching trout from any of the docks or shore locations on Lake Superior during the spring? If so, I may have to pick up some trout lures.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

IncaRoads wrote:Would 8# test line be sufficient?

is there a possibility of catching trout from any of the docks or shore locations on Lake Superior during the spring? If so, I may have to pick up some trout lures.
When backpacking I have taken a Light midweight spinning rod and reel spooled with Trilene XT for shore fishing and done well with pike.

I have not caught trout from shore but others have. That is why I bring KO Wobblers and Little Cleos.

With the lighter line on a Light Midweight, you can cast farther.
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

I have caught Lake Trout from Shores of Isle Royale. You need to select locations of spring habitat.
Used Silver/Blue Doctor Spoons casting as far as possible, then letting lure sink deep before retrieving.

Just catching one makes the entire day!!!!!!!!
"Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with earth" - Walt Whitman
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Was coming around Blake Pt one year and on the south side not far from Merritt Lane, there was a guy standing on the rock that landed 3 lakers. Nice size and deep/cold water right there.

Damon...