Kayaking Layers: WetSuit or DrySuit?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Kayaking Layers: WetSuit or DrySuit?

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

Planning for a 2 week kayak circumnavigation in Mid-June. With the temperature of the lady herself (freezing) and as you should always plan on spending a considerable time submerged, especially in rough seas, what do you experienced persons suggest? I was planning on a Farmer John type Wetsuit with a Drytop jacket. Give me room to breath once in a while. When you splash into the Lady, do you regret it and immediately go for the DrySuit? What type of layer recommendations do you give? Thanks
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Kayaking Layers: WetSuit or DrySuit?

Post by johnhens »

You will get a mixed bunch here.
When paddling the Lake in Spring, I wear a farmer john with a drytop and wet suit booties. I stay close to shore for the most part. If I were to do any long crossings, I would like a drysuit.
I also have paddling gloves and pogues and a warm hat.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Froggy,

What's your experience level, what kind of kayak, do you have a reliable roll...etc? Little more info about your paddling history/ability will help.

Mid June can certainly still have some fairly cold weather and you can guarantee cold water temps. Like John said, you will get mixed advice here. When I go circumnavigate the island or any area where I have long sections of areas with no good landings, I almost always recommend a drysuit. But recently, I've been using my dry jacket on colder days. Wetsuit would work with a dry jacket if you have a combat roll but keep in mind, you end up taking a swim in bad weather with just a wetsuit/dryjacket, things could get bad very quick. I've taken my chances because I have a lot of confidence in my roll and have used it many times on Superior in rough weather. Not saying that's the right thing to do. If you don't have a combat roll, I would not recommend that exposure combination (dryjacket/wetsuit).

It also depends on many other factors...are you paddling in a group or with a less experienced kayaker that you may be responsible for? Do you have all the proper safety gear? If I had any doubts, I would always opt for my drysuit. Makes you much more comfortable in those conditions anyhow.

We've paddled around IR in pristine weather and some unbelievable horrible conditions as well. Preparation is so important.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

While I am not a kayaker, I use my own boat to travel to the island.

I spend a lot of time in remote areas on my boat and my rule-of-thumb is, equip yourself for the worst conditions you might encounter.

Of course, I have a advantage in the amount of crap I can carry as opposed to a kayaker, but I think this is good advice nonetheless.

You don't want to die because you chose to save a few pounds.
FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

Hey Damon

I would say moderately experienced. I did the apostles a few times, and have done a few trips out in Lake Michigan. I have a solid roll, but like everyone, it has it's on and off days. I'm doing a 2 week solo circumnavigation, which should give me plenty of time to take a stall day in case of bad weather. I'm leaning towards a wetsuit/dry jacket combo. Thanks for the help and advice
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

2 weeks will be more than enough time to complete the 100 or so miles. Every time we've circumnavigated IR, we take about 9 days and always end up using a couple weather days. It's nice to factor in a few more for exploration, hiking, fishing, etc. I always have a hard time wondering why people go up there and marathon the paddle and complete the trip in 5 days or less. You miss so much in between.

I would say your wetsuit/dry jacket is fine and you'll definitely need it that time of year. Last August we had a mixed bag. Some very cold and wet days/nights and then an occasional hot day in between.

If you have any further questions, let me know...happy to help.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I have a full Kokotat Meridian dry suit, complete with feet. It's expensive, but to my way of thinking worth it. I went in in early May near Blake Point a few years ago and, other than an externally generated brain freeze, stayed pretty warm for the couple of minutes it took to regroup.

I like the Gore-tex as well. I like to paddle the shore looking for signs of crib docks, etc. and will often get out and bushwhack to see the remains of an old camp, etc. The suit breaths well and protects me from the bushes.

I got mine at Outdoorplay.com The have sales often and sometimes you can get a pretty good deal. All in all, it's cheaper than a cremation and a lot cheaper than a funeral.