Critque/Suggestions of our itinerary

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

offthegrid
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Critque/Suggestions of our itinerary

Post by offthegrid »

First I have found this forum very helpful in planning our first trip to Isle Royale. My wife, son (7 years old), and I are heading to IR in early August for a summer vacation/10 year anniversary trip. Our plan is to fly into Rock Harbor and take a water taxi to Malone Bay. We will be canoeing most of the time. Following is our itinerary (based on reading these forums):

Day 1: Travel and stay at Malone Bay
Day 2,3: Camp at Wood Lake
Day 4: Camp Lake Whitlessey
Day 5: Camp Chippewa Harbor
Day 6: water taxi to RH then back to Houghton

We are planning to explore via canoe, lots of fishing, and to have fun. As much as my wife and I would like to hike I think it is best to have the canoe this time around to transport the 7 year old if he becomes weary. Our son is adventurous for a 7 y/o and is very excited for this trip. I am interested in any suggestions you may have regarding our trip. Thanks in advance.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Critque/Suggestions of our itinerary

Post by Mandolynn »

My friends and I stayed at Wood Lake last year and I saw a beaver there. I got up just after dawn and walked down to the rocky point that you come around when you first approach the landing. I stood very still and just waited and after a bit the beaver came gliding around the point. I got to hear him do the tail slap, which was something I had always wished to hear. The beaver made several trips back and forth until the sun got too high. We also saw a moose swimming along the opposite shore and saw an eagle overhead later in the morning. It's a great spot.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Sounds like a good trip! It's good you have an extra day built in as Siskiwit is a very big lake and a howling wind from the SW through N to NE could strand you at Malone 'til it dies down. From Wood Lake to Chippewa campground should be OK except in the highest of winds. Make sure the little one has a properly fitted life jacket as the water temps can still be pretty cold even in August.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
offthegrid
NewbieCake

Post by offthegrid »

Thanks for the input. We do a fair amount of kayaking and canoeing around our home and our son is never without his life jacket, even though he thinks he is the worlds best swimmer he still wants to wear it :) I was thinking this trip would be relatively easy and we shouldn't have to push to hard to make each of these points. I just want to make sure that our son has fun and doesn't feel like all we are doing is rushing from one spot to the next.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Agree! Good Trip. You'll obviously be renting the canoe at the lodge, and they're not going to be lightest or have the best yokes for portaging, but since you're only doing 1 portage/day that should be manageable. The Whittlesey/Chippewa portage is a little rougher/rockier, so watch your step. I love to see families out in the woods--your son will love it!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Sounds like a great yet comfortable trip. My only suggestion would be to try to get to Wood Lake campround on your first day. This is based on the reasoning that Keweenaw stated. You could still spend that first day exploring Siskiwit Lake but if the weather is favorable that first day, take advantage of it to put the largess of Siskiwit behind you. . . just in case the winds pickup the second and maybe even third day. This way you further minimize your chances of getting stuck at Malone longer than desired. You could always go back into Siskiwit from Wood campground on your second day, but you'd be more in control from that position. Spending a second night at Chippewa Harbor would then be my choice as there is quite a lot to do there. Besides being a beautiful campground (with shelters) take a day hike to Lake Mason, and the bluffs overlooking Lake Superior and the harbor entrance and there is an old school house to explore.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
offthegrid
NewbieCake

Post by offthegrid »

Thanks for the replies and great recommendations. Due to a few...logistical issues we are looking at portaging from Rock Harbor to Duncan Bay and then hanging out on the North side of the island between Duncan Bay Narrows, Duncan Bay, and Lane Cove. I know we are heading up Greenstone to get there but I'm not to concerned regarding this as the wife and I are both runners (10+ miles) and in pretty good shape, of course I don't run with a canoe on my back :) From what I've read on the forums there is good fishing in this area and it sounds nice as well. We have also entertained the idea of Moskey Basin, Lake Ritchie, Chippewa but the thought of carrying my canoe over 2 miles makes my shoulders hurt already :) Thank you again for your input. My guess is no matter what we choose we will have a blast and make great memories for us and our son!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

offthegrid wrote:My guess is no matter what we choose we will have a blast and make great memories for us and our son!
So true! :)

Personally, I'd also rather do the Tobin/Duncan portage than Moskey/Richie any day! Regardless of the direction, haul the 1st load to the top of ridge, then go back for the 2nd, then repeat going down. The total distance and effort is the same as going straight across, but it breaks it up more. The top is not 1/2 the distance, but it's pretty close to 1/2 the work.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH