two prisums with spray covers

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

jshandyman
NewbieCake

two prisums with spray covers

Post by jshandyman »

my brother and I dicided to do something different this year and take our solo canoes to the island starting point is Mccargo Cove and going around the point if the weather permits to Chip Harbor. Made snap on covers with spray skirts for the boats, marine radio and got the short john wet suits. Any other equipment advise is welcome.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: two prisums with spray covers

Post by Damon S »

Which direction are you traveling and what time of the summer are you going?

The solo canoes would be a nice challenge but between your gear, I'd probably throw in some float bags for a little more seaworthiness. A few years back we ran into a father daughter team who were circumnavigating the island. That week we were paddling was an exceptionally rough sea state and we met the two at Hay Bay. The 15 year old girl was paddling a small rec boat with an open cockpit,,,dad was paddling a solo canoe. They both had some interesting experiences along the way.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: two prisums with spray covers

Post by johnhens »

I would say, make sure that you can get by on the gear in your boat lest you get seperated. You each should have a compass and map ie. Personal ditch gear (if you flip and get seperated from your boat, matches, light ect.)