Fish Graph/Finder

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

offthegrid
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Fish Graph/Finder

Post by offthegrid »

Looking for a few opinions here. My wife, son (7 y/o), and I are headed to IR for the first time July 31-Aug 5. As we pack and unpack our gear into backpacks and our canoe I'm trying to cut some weight/gear because we're heavy and our canoe is full. My wife and I are hauling most of the stuff for the 3 of us. I have a fish graph to use but was wondering if it is really necessary or just one more thing to haul and manage. We are getting dropped in Chippewa and doing Whitlessy, Wood, Siskwit, Intermediate, Richie, and getting picked up in Malone. We plan to do A LOT of fishing so wondering if the graph will help or not. Thanks in advance for any insight.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Fish Graph/Finder

Post by johnhens »

I have taken and used a fishfinder at various places and found it useful for structure and coming across baitfish.
Do I use it all the time, no.
Does it come in handy when fishing new water? Absolutlely.
Should you bring it?
Can't say! :)
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I wouldn't even dream of it on a canoe trip to the Isle. I found, in most of the inland waters we fished on IR with canoes, it was called "catching", not fishing. If you are a fisherman, you'll know where to catch them. Leave the gadgets at home. JMHO.

Three in one canoe, in those cold waters, doesn't sound all that appealing to me, either. Always wear your PFD's. Your itinerary sounds way too aggressive to me, for a first trip, with 7y/o. Again, JMHO.

One other suggestion, you may already have planned; steel leaders.

Be safe and enjoy your trip. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
offthegrid
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by offthegrid »

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that the graph might be a little bit overkill but it was loaned to me by someone who had been there and said it would help. I fish quite a bit so I what to look for in terms of a "good" fishing spot. Our canoe has a 1,000# capacity with 6" of freeboard and I figure we'll be weighing in around 650 - 700. We've tested it out with 3 adults and some gear and had no problems plus we are all pretty comfortable on the water and my son even has his own kayak. We'll all be wearing the pfd's because I know accidents happen, and quick. Our plan is to camp night 1 at Whitlessey, 2 nights at Wood Lake, 1 night at either Intermediate or Richie, and the last night at Moskey. Our family is pretty active and our son is pretty ambitious so I think we'll be okay but thanks for the concern. We'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back because we have appreciated the info we have received from this forum. Counting down the days...
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

In your first post you related pick-up at "Malone", and not Moskey as your pick-up. That's why I suggested the "too aggressive". You also, didn't mention a kayak added to the equation.

Enjoy your adventure. Safe trip. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne