Fish Pictures from June Trip

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Fish Pictures from June Trip

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

Here are some photos of the monsters that lurk in the waters of Isle Royale National Park .
Our trip was in the first week of June. Fishing was slower this year (150Total) than last year (191Total), but the weather was behind 2-3 weeks and the weeds hadn't filled in much at all yet. The big ones were there but were still a little gun shy. We caught 24 fish over 36inches last year, 7 of them over 40inches. This year we only caught 2 over 36inches, a 37 incher I caught, and Steve's 47Incher that weighed in on a certified scale at 28lbs! He caught it on a PINK #3 Mepps Aglia. We released the all pike to be caught again.

Did more trolling for lakers and managed to catch a few eaters here and there. Also trolling with a large original Rapala through the narrows near Chippewa Harbor dock, I caught a Whitefish, which is kinda unusual. Also caught 3 or 4 lakers trolling around the island in the narrows of CH using the same lure.

Also while fishing for pike using a #3 Mepps Aglia, we caught a couple decent sized Perch. We immediately dowsixed to # 2 and # 1 Mepps and casted in and around all the emerging reeds and managed to catch a dozen nice eating-sized Perch and toss them in the live well. Ended up trading them for gas the next day! (that's another story for another day!)
Attachments
Found this stick in the shape of IRNP while exploring around Rock Harbor.
Found this stick in the shape of IRNP while exploring around Rock Harbor.
My Whitefish caught trolling.
My Whitefish caught trolling.
Steve's Big Northern Pike. 47Inches 28Lbs
Steve's Big Northern Pike. 47Inches 28Lbs
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Fish Pictures from June Trip

Post by Ingo »

Nice Rob! If I ever decide I want to catch fish instead of just fishing for them I'll look you up :D .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Wow!! 47 incher! That's a real trophy. I hope (or maybe not) I can hook up with something like that in my kayak. I'm heading up this year the first week in June also. If you are there and see a red streak go by your boat, I managed to hook one of those lunkers!!
73irgrads
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by 73irgrads »

Beautiful Northern - it looks like you had fantastic fishing! I'd love to share some of my photos but someone will have to enlighten me on how to attach pictures to my message as I'm not sure I've got this figured out.
2022img063.jpg
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

nice Northerns!
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Nice fish, guys! My son and I were on the island in August and spent a lot of time fishing and we caught a grand total of ZERO fish between the two of us over 5 days. I'm glad to see that at least someone is catching something.
Jonny Brett
NewbieCake

Post by Jonny Brett »

Thanks guys, for sharing those pictures. Nice catches!

This may provoke me to change our plans to go in June rather than August.