Outfitter-Grand Marais

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Outfitter-Grand Marais

Post by jerry »

I'm interested in a good outfitter in the Grand Marais (North Shore) area.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Re: Outfitter-Grand Marais

Post by Ingo »

http://www.bear-track.com
I've rented kevlar canoes a couple times, and they have other equipment too. Not much else on the North Shore itself, although I haven't searched in a few years.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

There is a new place down by the harbor in Grand Marais, as well. I've met the folks at the Outdoor Adventure Expo. Seem nice.

http://www.stoneharborws.com/

Rental prices available online.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Thanks gentleman!
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Ingo,
I think I read that you rented a canoe at Rock Harbor. I know some of the canoes are near the float plane's dock in Tobin Harbor. Where are the canoes in the Rock Harbor? Can't remember seeing them at all. Maybe all I saw was the grill and the food/beer that they serve.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Jerry, no I haven't rented a canoe on the island--not the best for the trips I take. They do have them, but I think they keep most on the Tobin Harbor side, as you've noticed, since it's more protected. There is a canoe rack near the Rock Harbor docks--seemed to be multi-purpose with personal personnel canoes and a couple rentals as I recall.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Thanks Ingo. I was trying to figure out a way to get onto Mott Island for a day's tour of that place. Any ideas?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

The canoes would be fine for paddling to Mott Island--they're just not great for portaging. Most days the summer weather will be OK for a paddle in Rock Harbor, but do watch the weather. I would allow a couple hrs for the paddle (each way). The other option is to rent a boat and motor at the marina--not as quiet :?, more $$ :o , but would give you more time to explore other places like Caribou Island, the fishery and lighthouse, and the researchers cabin down towards Moskey. Here's the link with all the 2012 rates for canoes, kayaks, and boats (note motors are extra...) http://www.isleroyaleresort.com/marina-rock-harbor. If you have more questions you can contact them directly too--they winter in Mammoth Cave, KY.