suggestions for canoe trip

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

dawn_t
NewbieCake

suggestions for canoe trip

Post by dawn_t »

A friend and I would like to do a 4 day canoe trip to IR in late June. I would like an option that is fairly safe and not too advanced. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: suggestions for canoe trip

Post by Ingo »

Hi Dawn, Welcome to the forums. A couple of things that would help to know is (a) are you planning to come from the U.P. or from Grand Portage, and (b) what experience do you have both paddling and portaging?

My favorite suggestion, coming over on Voyageur II from Grand Portage, is from McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor or Malone Bay. None of the portages are terrible, and the inland lakes are relatively protected. Lake Siskiwit requires the most caution, as it is large and can get nasty in strong SW winds, but you can wait it out if need be. There's a few options depending on how far you want to go in a day.

Also coming from Minnesota, you can go from Belle Isle to Rock Harbor. The paddle from Belle Isle to Lane Cove is susceptible to to NE winds, as is going around the point in Five Fingers Bay (although less so). The biggest obstacle is the portage from Duncan Bay to Tobin Harbor, as it's up and over the Greenstone Ridge. It's a .8 mile portage with a 180 ft climb that is very steep on the Duncan side. But this is may favorite area to paddle, so worth the effort to me. But I also recommend a higher level of experience than the inland lakes, given the couple of more open areas of water.

Coming into Rock Harbor from Michigan, there's 2 basic choices. First is to just stay in the harbor and paddle down to Moskey Basin and back (about 10 miles one-way). This has no portaging, but the most people, boats, and relative "civilization". But there's the fishery and lighthouse to visit, as well as the researcher's cabin--all very interesting. And it offers day hikes up the Greenstone ridge.

And finally, you could head across Tobin Harbor to Duncan Bay and Lane Cove. The only hesitation here is that you have to do the Tobin/Duncan portage both coming and going. Personally i would do it, but wouldn't want to talk someone else into what they may consider misery :).

There's more options, of course, if you wanted to push it, but I think these are the practical 4 day "not too advanced" options. I've done them all and hope to do them all again some day--they're all great.

Here's my website with trip logs and pics to give you an idea: http://moskeybasin.com/Isle_Royale/Isle ... _Main.html
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dawn_t
NewbieCake

Post by dawn_t »

Thank you Ingo! We will be coming from Grand Portage, MN. I haven't done much canoeing before - my friend has done more but not for a while, so I would say we are beginner to intermediate paddlers overall. But we have both done a lot of camping and hiking.

I'll look further into your suggested routes - thanks again!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

In that case I'd go with my first suggestion across the inland lakes. Assuming the 4 days include the boat rides, here' what I'd consider:

Option A:
1st night: McCargoe. You arrive in the afternoon and have time for a hike up to the Minong Mine, or enjoy a paddle in McCargoe Cove. McCargoe is very pretty and fjord like. Also a decent chance to see moose from the dock area.
2nd day: Paddle/portage to Lake Richie. Not a short day by any means, but not ridiculous either.
3rd day: Paddle across Lake Richie and portage to Chippewa Harbor. It's a relatively short day and gives you time to explore Chippewa Harbor--hike to Lake Mason, paddle by the shipwreck, and explore the Superior shoreline.
4th day: Boat back to G.P.

Variation: 1st day: Get off at McCargoe and portage/paddle to Chickenbone (camping at West Chickenbone). The only reason I'd do this is if the 2nd day looked too long.

Option B:
1st night: McCargoe.
2nd night: Lake Richie.
3rd day: Paddle/portage thru Lakes Intermediate and Siskiwit to Malone Bay. The only consideration here is that it is possible to get wind bound on Lake Siskiwit, but it's not all that likely to totally ruin your schedule. Folks have reported waiting a few hours--the winds generally die down in the evening. This route gives you the option of stopping at Ryans Island, the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the largest (freshwater) lake in the world.
4th day: Get picked up at Malone Bay.

If you're not aware, you can change your itinerary along the way, but you can't change your pickup location.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dawn_t
NewbieCake

Post by dawn_t »

Great, thank you so much!
dawn_t
NewbieCake

Post by dawn_t »

Actually I just checked the ferry schedule and given the dates we are looking to go, we may need to go for 5 days instead of 4. Any suggestions on where to tack on another day? Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

5 days is better :). From Lake Richie, go through Intermediate to Siskiwit to Wood Lake for an extra night. It's a great spot and you get the sunset across Siskiwit. Then up to Chippewa Harbor through Whittlesey (or paddle down to Malone). Or simply layover for a day--whatever your preference!
eddy_line
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by eddy_line »

http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1619

Dawn: Ingo provides excellent advice, as do many of the posters on this forum. The above link is to a trip report for our kayak portage and paddle trip from McCargo to Chippewa Harbor via Lake Siskiwit. We were on the island for 6 days in late July of 2011. We had great weather, 3 fish (walleye/northern) dinners, and thoroughly enjoyed our trip. If we were to repeat the adventure, about the only change we might make is to spend the first night at McCargoe, as Ingo suggested. It would add a 1.2 mile portage to day 2, but the additional paddling would be minimal.

Hope that you have a great trip, and we'll look forward to your trip report!