Re: 1st timer back again

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

numb
NewbieCake

Post by numb »

Well a lot has happened since we last spoke, my daughter had a beautiful wedding at a great venue in Michigan ( the blue dress barn ) she married a great man i am very thankful , but nothing is simple in life eight days before the wedding
we had a house fire thankfully no one was hurt but dammit if I didn't loose 90% of my backpacking gear and over the years I have accumulated tons of stuff. Well my trip ( in early July ) is still on I have started to re-purchase my gear,
the old town canoe me and my brother-in -law purchased never saw water , we have since got a Wenonah canoe 18fter. I can't wait to see the island and once again I need a bit of advice this time it is fishing tips . we will be on Siskiwit lake
and I have read that there is high lead count in the lake ? Is this correct. If I fish the lake can I eat the fish? we will probably portage to the near by lakes but I believe Siskiwit will be base-camp.

Thanks again

Bill
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

So sorry to hear about the fire.

The only reference I could find to Lead in ISRO inland lakes was in an obscure USGS paper that attributed most of the Lead found to naturally occurring in the sedimentary rock:

http://www.glsc.usgs.gov/_files/reports ... Report.pdf

The State of Michigan publishes a variety of guideline brochures regarding eating fish. They do cover some ISRO lakes but they focus primarily on Mercury and PCBs:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch/ ... 5136_7.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FishA ... 7354_7.pdf

Here are links to the ISRO National Park Service brochures on fishing:

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... e-10-2.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... ge-7-3.pdf

Are there any children or younger women of child bearing years going to be with you? It seems the larger focus of concern is with that group.

Short of abstaining all together, you can of course limit the number of meals and stick with the smaller legal size catch. I think everyone has their own comfort levels regarding safeguards and risks to everything in life but of course it's always best to make informed decisions.

When you arrive ask the Rangers (or call ahead to the Houghton office) to see if there have been any recent updates to heavy metal and contamination studies or consumption guidelines.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

A study was done by a group of scientists of Siskiwit Lake a few years ago. They went to various spots and took core samples. I can't recall the exact numbers but mercury concentrations were higher than in adjacent waters from Superior.
I believe lake trout taken from Siskiwit also had higher mercury levels than lake trout from Superior. We ate lake trout from Siskiwit-we kept smaller younger fish to eat and made sure we removed the skin and any fat we could see where the fat would be located.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Re: Re: 1st timer back again

Post by Midwest Ed »

I always thought that the fat absorbed more Mercury than other fish parts but apparently that is not true for Mercury as it is for other contaminates. According to the Michigan Department of Community Health links above, there are NO cleaning or cooking steps that can be taken that will reduce the levels of Mercury in any particular fish. Fish age (i.e. size) and portion control of course will make a difference.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: 1st timer back again

Post by johnhens »

Midwest Ed wrote:I always thought that the fat absorbed more Mercury than other fish parts but apparently that is not true for Mercury as it is for other contaminates. According to the Michigan Department of Community Health links above, there are NO cleaning or cooking steps that can be taken that will reduce the levels of Mercury in any particular fish. Fish age (i.e. size) and portion control of course will make a difference.
Thanks, I thought that was true also.
On pages 54-55 there is specific info on Lake Trout and Whitefish from Siskiwit.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FishA ... 7354_7.pdf
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

I would also remind people to take note of the legend used. First looks at the chart might lead one to assume (I did) that the blank cells for a particular fish species and length indicates it is safe and any symbol indicates some sort of danger. I'm not sure what a blank cell means (maybe smaller than legal limit) but an upward pointing triangle indicates no restrictions.

Siskiwit Lake has no Lake Trout or Whitefish restrictions for the General Population. The same is true for child bearing age woman and children for Lake Trout up to 22 inches (no restrictions). Otherwise one meal per week (portions defined on page 3).
numb
NewbieCake

Post by numb »

Thanks for the info. I will use caution,

How about one more question, How long of a portage is it from the shores of Malone bay to Siskiwit lake ? 1500 ft?
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

numb wrote:Thanks for the info. I will use caution,

How about one more question, How long of a portage is it from the shores of Malone bay to Siskiwit lake ? 1500 ft?
The Park service lists it at .3 miles with 40' of elevation change and gradual slope. There is a board walk crossing of a wetland area you have to cross .