Crossing Tobin Harbor

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Starfire
NewbieCake

Crossing Tobin Harbor

Post by Starfire »

Can I rent a canoe, one-way, just to cross Tobin Harbor from Rock Harbor? If so, can I get some more info on that. I don't want to use the water taxi to get there.

I want to take the ferry from Copper Harbor, to Rock Harbor, then when I get there cross Tobin Harbor so I can start my hike on the Greenstone at Lookout Louise.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Crossing Tobin Harbor

Post by Ingo »

No, you'd have to have someone paddle it back. On Tues and Thurs mornings the lodge has what they call the "Water Bus Service" which is a ride on their sightseeing boat for $16. Obviously a lot cheaper than the water taxi for 1 person. Don't know of any other good options.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

See my response under your "best panoramic view?" post.

If u take the Queen, the captain will probably announce your interest (in splitting the cost of a canoe rental) over the intercom enroute to the island, if u so request. Some people may "hang" at Rock the first day; others may be staying at the lodge or housekeeping cabin(includes canoe rental); so even two persons may be interested in taking you- ride 3 in canoe across Tobin; they paddle back without you.

Just a 1/2 mile paddle if u put ashore at the duncan bay portage trail. Probably a number of people would be interested in Lookout Louise, especially if it's a clear day. The other party may appreciate having a strong paddler for the crossing over.
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

If you do begin your hike at lookout louise, the question becomes where will you camp on your first night (lane cove is the obvious choice, but if you are planning to hike the length of the park...).

Also, how much water will you need to carry if you stay up on the greenstone ridge trail all the way to east chickenbone? Typically, your first chance for water is Angleworm Lake, about 10.5 mi from Louise. And you have to go off trail a bit to access Angleworm.

You could descend the daisy farm trail to access water right on the trail, but it is a substantial descent to get there, and i would rather stay up on the ridge and do the short bushwack into Angleworm (the water will taste immensely better as well). It is only a very short drop in elevation for the "wack" into Angleworm.

I do not have any experience trying to identify water sources up on the greenstone, as I am typically up on it dayhiking without a full pack. But i've never seen any other sources along that route, and the park topo map doesn't show any other candidates.