Kayaking South Waters Info.

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

tinman
NewbieCake

Kayaking South Waters Info.

Post by tinman »

I would like some input on the waters on the south side of the Isle. May current itinerary may include: Day 1 Merrit Lane campground to the West end of Tobin Harbor. Day 2. Three mile or Daisy Farm to Moskey Basin. Is this a reasonable venture for someone with some kayaking experience. The smaller islands would seem to provide some protection .I do own a wet suit and neoprene footies. I'm concerned of the viscousness of the lake given a few forum posts. Any thoughts ?also ;how are the waters in Siskiwit Bay?
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Kayaking South Waters Info.

Post by MikeT »

Are you saying Tobin out to Merritt and Back?? Or getting dropped at Merrit somehow?? That is the questionable stretch. Once in Rock Harbor, 70% of the time you can go if early. The stretch from Merritt to Scoville is about a 50-60% chance. The open waters from Merritt Lane to Scovile (or Tobin for that matter) can be interesting :wink:
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
tinman
NewbieCake

Post by tinman »

Getting dropped off at Merrit in the Afternoon. Spending the night there. Early A.M. start toward west end of Tobin Harbor. One way paddle trip.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Are you staying at the west end of Tobin Harbor? Then paddling back to 3 mile or Daisy Farm?
Rounding Scoville Pt can be exciting if the winds are onshore (blowing towards shore). The paddle down Rock Harbor, again is weather dependant. If the winds are NE or SW you could get some pretty good waves there.
Siskiwit Bay can get rough if the winds are onshore. More protected towards Malone Bay.
Do you have a spray skirt for your kayak?
Watertight bulkheads?
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

There are of course days when this cannot be done (safely), but for the most part, you can complete this stretch without a problem, especially in a kayak. One thing that is nice to have is a VHS weather radio so you can tell what the conditions are on the south side of the island. At Merritt Lane you are sheltered from the main lake and cannot tell what is going on in the stretch from Merritt to Tobin until you get to the end of Porter Island coming out of Merritt Lane. It is only a half mile stretch strait across from Porter Island to the relative shelter of Bob’s and Newman Islands, but the currents in here are coming at you from all different directions and there are shallows that cause an underlying rolling current that can be from a whole different direction. You also have to keep your eyes open for “rogue” waves. The good thing is that most of the shoreline is accessible in case something goes wrong. If the waves are not from the south breaking on it, Red Rock Point is a great place to pull out. I’ve done this stretch twice. Once it was absolutely beautiful and relaxing, the other time, I was thoroughly exhausted and, once I got across, it was like getting off a ride at an amusement park. Fun!

Hey, if you walk out to Blake Point from Merritt, keep an eye open for a 6” tall little folding REI ultra-pod near the point. I had mine fall off somehow when I was out there last spring. It was a great little tripod and you will enjoy it!

Oh, question, are you getting dropped off at Merritt Lane CG on a private boat?

(If thinking about a radio, check out John's FAQ on weather radios. The signal was spotty at Merritt, but would come in at times)

Mike T.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
tinman
NewbieCake

Post by tinman »

Gentlemen. Thank you for the replies. I had planned to coast into the west end of Tobin. I will have a partner in crime in this two man torpedo o' fun, we were considering either gaining permission to camp in the basin near the end of Tobin and simply pick the kayak and carry it the approx. quarter to half mile to Three Mile cg. It sounds like a bit of workout, but were coming to the Isle on that rationale. An extremely beautiful rationale. All this weather permitting. Any advice on a good spray skirt?
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

The west end of Tobin is gorgeous. While hiking along there, i saw a Canadian white swan or something of the sort.

My guess is that you plan to portage the kayak from Tobin over to 3mile camp. 2/3 mile portage. A little bit of up and down; not bad at all. When u first hike over to 3mile with your gear, u can leave your boat off Tobin, and fetch it in the AM. Did u bring those extra energy bars? Who knows, maybe u can make a trade for someone to give u a hand portaging the kayak tandem?

Bartering is a lost art, but alive and well at isle royale. When traveling by boat especially, there is an opportunity to bring along an extra item or two that has minimal weight and bulk, but can prove "priceless" if u find yourself in a position of need. Of course, you will find that folks are quite generous at the park, but bartering can be fun too.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Aha. I guessed right, though your last post beat me to the punch. Heck, with 2 guys u can carry both kayaks simultaneously, albeit just a short distance down the tobin harbor trail. Then do tandem portaging the rest of the way- don't kill yourself.

From where u pull your boats out of Tobin, you will have a solid 300 yards to where u will hit the mt franklin trail; then just under 1/2 mile from the trail junction to 3mile camp.

You cannot camp anywhere near the basin or end of Tobin. If you do get approval for backcountry camping zone #11, the best you can do is to camp on the north side of Tobin Harbor before you enter the last 1/2 mile of the harbor (before it really narrows down on the west end); otherwise, u will have to go so far inland to get your camp at least 1/4 mile away from any trail (specifically the Tobin Harbor Trail), it would be a royal pain in the butt.

So much easier to leave the boats "on Tobin", and hike over and set up the tent at 3mile, even if you are doing so by headlamp.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

tinman wrote: Any advice on a good spray skirt?
I prefer a neoprene spray skirt over a nylon spray skirt.
Check the NRS site, they have a good selection.

On top of a good spray skirt, a good paddling top (or good waterproof jacket ) is a must.
I trust your partner also has a wet suit with neoprene booties at least?
Do you have a farmer john?
Paddling gloves are good also.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

When is the farmer john preferred over a full wetsuit? Warmer air temps? "Tolerable" water temps? Other considerations?
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

bergman wrote:When is the farmer john preferred over a full wetsuit? Warmer air temps? "Tolerable" water temps? Other considerations?
This is my preference as far as wet suits. I wear a farmer john over a capiline top, usually in cold to cool weather w/ a neoprene type pullover vest. I don't like a wetsuit top as I find them binding. I wear a dry top over the farmer john. A lot of folks here wear a drysuit instead of a wetsuit. Personal preference.
I tend to be more conservative in the types of water conditions I paddle in when the water is cold.