Lake superior waters fishing

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

splaker19
NewbieCake

Lake superior waters fishing

Post by splaker19 »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I'm appreciate all the information I've already found in this forum, thanks. Can't find much about the fishing in the bays and coves around the north/north east part of the island. There's alot of camp sites through there, I would like to know if the fishing is good enough to use them. I don't need to know any secret spots, just what kind of habitat I will find in these bays i.e. rocks, weeds , sand, etc. .

thanks
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Lake superior waters fishing

Post by johnhens »

When? Are you fishing from a canoe/kayak or boat? What are you fishing for?
splaker19
NewbieCake

Post by splaker19 »

I have a canoe and a boat that I could bring, haven't decided yet. If lake superior worth the time I may bring my boat , if not I'll bring my canoe and stay on the interior lakes.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'm not much of a fisherman, but I've eaten Lake Trout several times while camping at Belle Isle and McCargoe Cove, graciously shared by others who had more than they knew what to do with. Have also seen 20+ lb northerns that were pulled from bays in that area, but don't know specifics. I know that Brady Cove behind Birch Island has a reputation for good northern pike fishing.
No, I didn't catch this...
P1020136.jpg
P1020136.jpg (62 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
splaker19
NewbieCake

Post by splaker19 »

Thanks, thats good to know. Love a big pike.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Let me tell you this...Lake Superior is definitely worth bringing a kayak or canoe. I know the interior lakes have some incredible fishing as well, however, all of my experience up there has been off shore.

Lake trout earlier in the year with the really cold water and I've had success with deep diving lures (trolling) in 20-25 ft of water. Same lures later in the year (usually August) for salmon. I've had good luck around the waters of Blake Point and around the Pallisades. Good luck with coho in Moskey, right in front of the fishery. And jigging the deep water around the entry to Chippewa Harbor.

Damon...