Best method to provide fishing tips 'on the trail'

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Best method to provide fishing tips 'on the trail'

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

So, based on a conversation on another thread, I'm wondering what the best method would be to pass along information on fishing tips to fellow forum members and / or near future hikers. For instance, I find a certain location and / or lure that works well for me and I know a forum member will be arriving a day or two after we depart the site. Would leaving a written message in a zip lock bag in the middle of a cleared camping spot under a rock with that persons name on it be appropriate? I would certainly take all precautions that it didn't blow away. Would anyone consider this a violation of LNT? I suppose it would, but I could also leave a quick note on the front requesting that the reader / finder dispose of the note if it was there after a certain date just incase the intended recipient never arrives. I know I would appreciate the information and have no problem carrying the note and disposing of it on the mainland if the situation were reversed.

I'm on the fence on this one and can argue both ways. Any thoughts?
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Best method to provide fishing tips 'on the trail'

Post by hooky »

While it's a helpful thought, personally, I think it's unnecessary and violates LNT.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I would have to agree that leaving behind such notes would violate LNT.

ISRO is not an impulse backpacking/paddling/fishing destination (unless you live on the Keweenaw Peninsula or in the Arrowhead region and you have unlimited funds). Most folks do quite a bit of research before going and the best place to exchange information would be on a forum like this or on Youtube.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

Most folks do quite a bit of research before going and the best place to exchange information would be on a forum like this or on Youtube.
I agree 100%, but I was referring to 'real time' fishing tips/ reports from the very recent past. For instance, the intended recipient was already on the island and arriving at that particular location a day or two after I departed.

I agree with the LNT violation. Any better suggestions?
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

anything you could leave would violate LNT because it would by definition be a trace... if you know who you are leaving a note for maybe a FB radio could reach them? it would be extra weight, but a way to pass tips along. I guess it would depend on where you are and where they are if you will be close enough and or in the right terain.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I agree with the idea of LNT and understand the premise and benefits. If for some reason that person (I'm guessing he's talking about me as we've been talking about our trips and they lightly overlap) doesn't make it to that site the note would turn into litter/trash and possibly blow around.

The basic idea of LNT is leave the area as wild as when you left and don't let someone know you've been there. It should be the same or better than when you left. Would it really go against the LNT ideas if a note was left for 1 day in the outhouse in a ziplock bag under a rock or the CLEAN toilet paper? While it would by the letter of the law brake LNT, I don't think it would break the spirit of the rule.

Andy
sgatz
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by sgatz »

So does anyone know how the inland lakes fared this winter? Is there much kill? I remember when I went to IR, my dad took me to a lake that the previous year had tons of pike, but it had almost nothing... too much snow for too long = no oxygen. :(
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Wilderness Junkie wrote: . . . . . Any better suggestions?
I suggest writing your message on toilet paper you bring and then hanging it in the outhouse. It's sure to eventually get disposed and you just might get the word out to someone in the mean time.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

I suggest writing your message on toilet paper you bring and then hanging it in the outhouse. It's sure to eventually get disposed and you just might get the word out to someone in the mean time.
Good plan! Like you said, I will use my personal stash of TP, so worst case, it provides an extra wipe along with fishing tips! LOL.....