Seeking Advice, first IR trip with family.

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Sean
NewbieCake

Seeking Advice, first IR trip with family.

Post by Sean »

Hello folks. I'm going to IR in July with my wife and 10 y.o. son.

My wife and I have spent 10 days in the Boundary Waters, but that was a decade ago. We're mid-40s, our son is 10.

I have this itinerary that I'm concerned will destroy me, and I'm hoping you can reassure me, or talk me out of it.

Isle Royale Itinerary

Day 1. (7/16)
We arrive on the Ranger into Rock Harbor on July 16th. The taxi was full that day. So we're going to sleep there one night and then

Day 2. (7/17)
Take the water taxi to Chippewa Harbor on July 17th. That day hike the Indian Portage to Lake Richie. Camp at Lake Richie.

Day 3. (7/18)
Camp at Lake Richie

Day 4. (7/19)
Camp at Lake Richie

Day 5. (7/20)
Portage from Richie to Moskey Basin. Camp at Moskey Basin.

Day 6. (7/21)
Paddle to Daisey Farm. Camp at Daisey Farm.

Day 7 (7/22)
Paddle to Three Mile or Tookers Island, camp at one of them

Day 8. (7/23)
Paddle to Rock Harbor, camp there.

Day 9 (7/24)
Ferry back to Houghton

My concern is will the portage from Richie to Moskey break me? I'm in OK shape, but I'm 44 years old.

We'll be renting an 18 foot Old Towne Penobscott from a shop and bringing it onto the ferry.

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

Sean
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Seeking Advice, first IR trip with family.

Post by MikeT »

Sean,
Welcome to the Forums!

Your itinerary looks fine. Very relaxing. I figure you are fishing at Richie. You may want to paddle over to the canoe campground instead of staying 2 nights at one of them.

The portage is not terrible from Richie to Moskey. Just some work. It is long and one of the hardest on the island due to its length, but you can take your time and rest as you have all day to do it. Below is the profile and stats going Moskey to Richie.
Moskey Basin to Lake Richie Portage Profile
Moskey Basin to Lake Richie Portage Profile
Your concern about paddling from Daisy to Rock Harbor is a good one. It is easily done, but I would want a swing day because there are days when you cannot paddle it and you might miss the boat.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Sean
NewbieCake

Post by Sean »

Mike!

Thanks for your feedback. MUCH appreciated. I had screwed up in my itinerary and skipped a day, so I actually have two days to get from Daisey Farm to Rock Harbor. I'm thinking I'll spend one night at Three mile, or even do the whole thing and spend two at the end just to be safe.

And yes, I hope to catch some fish at Richie.

I will definitely be taking my time on those portages. Thanks again!

sean
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Can't speak to the paddling/portage part of it, but I'll add that your day at RH should include a trip out to Scoville point. It's an easy hike and very beautiful.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

As Mike said, the portage isn't that hard up and down, just long. Take your time with breaks and you'll be fine--if it takes all day, it takes all day. Get an early start before it gets too warm. Be sure to carry some water with you when portaging the canoe--companions aren't always around when you're ready (speaking from experience here).

The paddle from Daisy Farm to R.H. isn't too much, and most days in July will be fine weather wise. But of course there's always the possibility--can't do much about that except to be smart and flexible. Do remember that you can't stay 2 consecutive nights at the R.H. campground, so you can't get there 2 days before the boat, unless you get a room.

If you're not familiar with the Penobscott, it's a good canoe, but does have an arched bottom which makes it a little "tippier" than some--so be careful loading and unloading in particular (again speaking from experience :) ). Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Sean,
An added thought...
There is a ranger station near Daisy Farm campground that is typically staffed (lately it has been Ranger Rob Bell a great guy and a kayaker). The station is down the trail west of shelter #1. You may want to get a marine forecast from the ranger (or boaters if they are there) and plan accordingly. Even if the forecast is good, personally I would try and get to Three-Mile and not do the whole route the day before the boat.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote:Do remember that you can't stay 2 consecutive nights at the R.H. campground, so you can't get there 2 days before the boat, unless you get a room.
If a canoeist/kayaker found themselves somewhat "stuck" at Rock Harbor or they wanted to to stay close, one additional and fairly simple possibility would be a little back country camping in zone 9, 10 or 11 on the north side of Tobin Harbor.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

It will be fun and relaxing trip. A few options are available to consider...

1. You can make reservations with the Ranger III to get dropped off at Mott Island or to be picked up at Mott Island.
So if weather/Rock Harbor Condition is a concern when at Daisy Farm, it may be easier to hop acrross to the Mott
Mott Island HQ.

2. If weather/Lake Superior water conditions permit, the paddle from Mott Island to Chippewa was about 3 hours
paddle for me. Enjoyable and different perspective of island. You would arrive at Chippewa a day earlier.

3. To lessen load on Lake Richie/Moskey Basin portage. Carry your canoe over the evening prior leaving a much easier
trip the next morning.
Sean
NewbieCake

Post by Sean »

Thanks very much everyone! I will try to hike out to Scoville on day one, Hooky, thanks for that advice. I'll also check in with the ranger for a weather report, great advice, Mike.

MidwestEd, thanks for the tip. If we get to Rock Harbor early we will take your advice. Info, this is my first time in an Old Towne Canoe, so your warning is much appreciated. I laughed at the "speak from experience" line.

Head2north, great idea about the canoe portage the night before. I'll try that. As for canoeing from Mott to Chippewa, that sounds like a route my family might be up for on our NEXT trip. That open water route looks like more than I can take on for our first time on the island. I've only canoed on Michigan rivers and Minnesota lakes. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Everyone, thank you so much for your advice. It's a rare thing on the Internet for a newbie to be treated so kindly.

Have a great week!

Sean
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Sean,

We are all newbies at some point in time. These boards are like a close fraternity that does not feel the need to haze. :D

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!