Paddling Gloves

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Paddling Gloves

Post by Rafiki »

I hate not having much time to come on here anymore. My commute to and from work sucks up all my time and at the end of the day, I'm a slave to the weightroom. I eventually hope to write about my trip report from last August even anyone cares to still read it. However, for the time being, I have another trip I am planning this August...a canoeing trip. I don't want my fingers to get raw, blistered, or sore. Can anyone recommend some decent gloves that won't fall apart after one use? Also, I noticed some gloves are meant to keep you hands from getting wet in really cold water. I definitely want it to be known, that I am not looking for gloves that provide warmth. The main ojective is to protect my virgin hands. The ones at REI don't see to have good ratings, so if anyone would mind recommending some decent pairs and/or what to look for, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Paddling Gloves

Post by NancyT »

I had a problem with gloves giving me blisters where the seams were in the thumb area.
Mike got me these for Christmas. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... oves-23521 They were wonderful this spring. Kept my hands dry and not one blister.

P.S. Great to see you and OF COURSE we want to read about last years trip...
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Great to see ya on here Rafiki. As for gloves you can't miss with these : http://www.amleo.com/product.aspx?p=VP- ... 7AodTBsAtw
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I'll be taking my first canoe trip on IR from the 29th of this month through the 4th of August.

I bought a pair of half finger paddling gloves but found that I don't care for them too much. The design seems to be primarily for the purpose of just keeping my hands dry. If it were raining they might be appropriate so I'm keeping them with my rain jacket. My preferred paddling gloves turned out to be my half finger biking gloves with gel pads on the palms. They're much more comfortable and they dry out quickly. I can't recall the specs but given my normal selection criteria they were probably moisture wicking. So, check out biking glove options. Also make sure that you break them in as new gloves can cause blisters just like new boots and new socks. If you're lifting weights, try using them in the weight room to help break them in.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Nancy

Trip report is in the process of being typed. It is great to see that you still around on here. I appreciate the advice on the gloves. $35 seems like a lot Ha Ha Ha. I realize that top quality things do not come cheap and am always about investing the best of the best. However, I would like to see how well we do out our first trip before investing in a really good pair of gloves. For right now, the only thing I do not mind putting out big bucks for is a VHF radio.

Dro

I like your recommendation. I would never had thought to branch out to simple lawn and heavy duty gloves like the ones your suggested. How big of a guy are you and what size do you use? I'm trying to get an idea of what size to get from my girlfriend and I. Thanks.
Also make sure that you break them in as new gloves can cause blisters just like new boots and new socks. If you're lifting weights, try using them in the weight room to help break them in.
Great advice Gimp, I would never have thought to really take the time to break them in. I am glad you made mention of this idea.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

I appreciate the advice on the gloves. $35 seems like a lot Ha Ha Ha
Waterproof equals expensive in almost anything...sigh. At the times of year that we go to the island, (ice on water in spring, etc.), keeping my hands dry is important, very important. I also invested in the waterproof socks and they saved my feet while truding through the snow this spring.
Going to the island is an expensive hobby!! Buy oh so worth it!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info