Overboard

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Overboard

Post by Rafiki »

Shelly and I are knew to the canoe scene. As you know, we have been trying to seek as much advice as possible for our upcoming trip. One concern that we have is that there is a chance that the canoe could very well tip over. In the event that this does happen, what are some advanced preparations we should take into consideration with out backpacks and gear. Should we tie our belongings to the canoe? Should we put life jackets on our gear so everything floats? Should we try to put a lot of air into our dry bags to provide them with some bouyancy? I know there is probably a simple fix to this concern, so if anyone could provide us with a heads up we'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Overboard

Post by MikeT »

Tim,
This is a page that discusses setting up the canoe:
http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?25

Also, if you look through the paddling.net website, there are all kinds of how-to articles and some videos. In particular look at: Articles > Guidelines > How to Canoe > Techniques
Among the articles here are how to get in and out, how to get in if it turns over and many other interesting articles.

Also, the Red Rock Store in Ely, MN has some great how-to stuff. This shows how to lift a canoe:
http://www.redrockstore.com/canoelift.html
And, if you look at the bottom of this page, there are some additional pages on getting in and out and unloading.

When we go, we ALWAYS prepare for going over no matter the conditions. We never have (knock on Kevlar), but are always ready for it. That means everything tied down and in waterproof containers. Also, we always keep a warm set of clothes in an easy to get to place (on top of dry bags) in case we go in and hit the shore wet.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

In addition to our drybags being tied to the canoe, we also have long bungie cords criss crossed over our gear so if we do capsize, our gear is still IN the canoe.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I'll check the websites out when I get out of work.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

In my experience the most likely time folks get wet is getting in/out loading/unloading, because they didn't do one of the following:
- Never get in or out unless the whole canoe is floating. Do not pull one end up on shore until you're both out.
- Only step in the center of the canoe.
- Always be leaning over with both hands on the gunwales (the sides). Don't stand up.
- Patiently move packs end to end, not over the side.
- Key is to keep all weight centered at all times.
- Patience, patience, patience. Don't rush.
The Redrock site explains this well.

For safety on the water:
- Have bailers. Gallon milk jugs with the bottom cut out (and the top on :) ) work great. Collapsible water buckets work too and do double duty (but may not stay clean for drinking water). Tie them to the canoe with enough line so you can use them w/o untying.
- Yes, air in dry bags helps! It's floatation. I have mixed feelings about tying in packs, because if they are not buoyant they could sink a swamped canoe. If they are buoyant then they help. Virtually all canoes will float when swamped, but not by much. Have thought about tossing a full pack in the water and seeing if it sinks or floats, but never have tried. Bottom line is that any air you leave in sealed bags helps at least a little.
- I don't pack everything in water proof bags, but always a complete set of dry clothing and other essentials. This should be tied in.
- Tie 15-20' lines to both ends of the canoe, preferably rope that floats.
- Always bring a spare paddle and tie it in the canoe. It doesn't help if it's floating away with your other one. Some outfitters resist giving you an extra (for unknown reasons), but you should insist--the safety argument usually works if there's resistance.
- Always wear your life vest, period. No matter how well you swim, how calm it is, etc. There's no one to help you.

Probably forgetting something obvious, but that's what I got off the top of my head.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

One quick note on going over- I'm sure this is covered on the other pages mentioned. With all that gear tied to the boat it is necessary that you have a sharp knife on your person & easily accessable while up to your neck in the lake. Gear & a bunch of line full of knots, when turned over, can be a real mess. Example: The canoe capsizes, you remain calm and right it. It is now FULL of water , only a small daypack has come loose from it's lashings and is hanging over the side with three lines attached to it. Now mind you you fingers are cold (mighty cold) and you still have alot of water to bail. Do you want to fiddle with three knots under tension or cut them and toss the pack back on board? And remember this 11lb. daypack now weighs 32lbs and is threatening to roll the boat again..... A little knife can save alot of grief. Start carrying it now everyday so it becomes familiar like your wallet.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Thanks to Ingo. I forgot the spare paddle. I would never go without. I broke mine while going from Tobin to Merritt. Luckily I was able to grab the other half. But, it was luck. I was able to repair it and have two paddles, but the same as loosing a paddle, you could be up a creek without a paddle (as the saying goes). :o
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

I would recommend that you do not tie down or bungie strap your gear while canoeing on lsle Royale. Unless I am
ignorant to your plans, but I am fairly certain there are no fast flowing whitewater rivers on Isle Royale. There are
two different types of canoeing, lakes or rivers. The tie down approach is for the later. Don't worry, your gear will
not float five miles down Rock Harbor away from you if you capsize.

And if you take the approach of "what's the difference anyways" or "cant hurt" then
Read drobarge's post and scenario (But personally, I don't want to put my life on finding a knife at this point).
Also prevents mid lake rescues : http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/resources/s ... e_methods/
Also would make portaging more of a pain.

However, I do suggest having small daily items (camera, GPS, sunblock, etc.) in small pack secured
to thwart with easy release buckle.
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

Ingo wrote:- Yes, air in dry bags helps! It's floatation. I have mixed feelings about tying in packs, because if they are not buoyant they could sink a swamped canoe. If they are buoyant then they help. Have thought about tossing a full pack in the water and seeing if it sinks or floats, but never have tried. Bottom line is that any air you leave in sealed bags helps at least a little.
+1 on this advice. Many years ago I learned that my Army rucksack would float if I tied off my 3 small and 1 large waterproof bag properly. I once threw my ruck off of a muddy embankment into the slow moving Chagres River in Panama, followed it into the water and swam across the river towing it behind me on a sling rope. It didn't float really well, but it did float. I think that a compressed dry bag would still float but if you leave a little air in the bags that will improve the flotation. You can also leave a little more air in your sleeping pad or air mattress if you use one. An empty water bottle will also increase the flotation of your pack if you place it inside. Consider tethering your empty or partially empty water bottle to any valuable smaller item such as a GPS or fishing gear that's loose in your canoe so that it will serve as a float in an emergency. Two water bottles tied together with a short length of cord also provide an effective emergency flotation device for a human - like water wings (I learned to do that with two Army canteens). I used to be a scrawny, low body fat long distance runner who would sink like a stone so I gave a lot of attention to things that would keep me on the right side of the water.

It should go without saying that if you have a full water bottle, do not tie that off onto something that's important because it will help pull it under.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Waterproof matches/lighter on your person is critical if you overturn on Lake Superior waters, and make it to shore without all your gear. An emergency fire will probably be needed to help avoid hypothermia.
darksideofoz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by darksideofoz »

IncaRoads wrote:Waterproof matches/lighter on your person is critical if you overturn on Lake Superior waters, and make it to shore without all your gear. An emergency fire will probably be needed to help avoid hypothermia.
agreed.

a thermal, or space, blanket is a piece of gear i picked up 5 years ago. it contains & reflects something like 98% of your body heat. i always have one when in my camping gear & there's always one in my truck during the winter. living in the keweenaw you never know when you might truly need to use one. even in the middle of summer.

i will suggest that you don't sleep with your face under one of those blankets though. not only do they keep in the heat, but also the moisture. nothing quite like moving your head from side to side in a dead sleep to get slimed all across your face & then wake up to the cold air outside of the blanket.
1 Isle Royale trip: July 2nd-6th 2010
RH>Caribou
Caribou>Daisy Farm Trail>Conglomerate Bay back country camping
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Merritt Lane>Rasberry Island>RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

My Personal Flotation Device has enough pockets or attachment points to hold the following:

1) Stainless steel (rust proof) Knife with it’s own flotation wrist strap. The wrist strap is put on when you are using it.
2) Audible rescue device (Loud whistle with lanyard)
3) Visual distress signaling devices (I have a battery operated waterproof strobe light that clips to PFD and signaling mirror (mirror could be as simple as a piece of a CD. Could substitute at least 3 red flares)
4) Waterproof match case and/or other waterproof fire starter kit (this might be in the dry bag below).

Keep very handy:
5) Rescue throw bag

Keep handy but secure:
6) Bailing devices
7) Spare paddle
8 ) Small dry bag with other essential personal items too big to fit in PFD pockets (marine radio, space blanket, rope, dry clothes, etc.)

I would also add enough inflatable float bags in the bow and stern to more than absolutely insure a fully loaded swamped canoe does not submerge. The best preparation is to take the canoe to a swimming pool or pond and intentionally roll it over, first in waste deep water then in the deep end. Get use to how it feels to right it, get back in and bail it. Then when it happens for real in frigid water there should be less panic.

But Ingo is right. More drowning accidents happen at the dock than anywhere else and for the majority of those not at the dock, the majority of time the victim's zipper is down.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013