Kayak trip question

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

oatbwan
NewbieCake

Kayak trip question

Post by oatbwan »

Hello Isle Royalers,
My lady and I are a few days away from embarking on our first IR trip, and I had a [strikeout]couple[/strikeout] several questions. We are intermediate level kayakers.

1. How risky is it to go around Blake's Point in kayaks (in a northerly direction, towards Duncan harbor)? How long should we plan on this stretch taking?

2. What kind of fishing permit do I need to fling a few casts into the waters of places like the Five Fingers, Duncan Harbor, Lane Cove, et. al.?

3. How does one best access Lane Cove campground? Through Stockly Bay, or on the Lane Cove side, or both?

4. Thoughts/criticisms on the following itinerary for a 5 day/4 night trip to the Isle (we specifically made it very conservative to create flexibility for bad weather):

Day 1: Rock Harbor ---> Merritt Lane (via kayaks)
Day 2: Merritt Lane ---> Lane Cove (via kayaks, by way of Blake's Point)
Day 3: Catch Voyager II at Belle Isle, and then kayak from RH to Tooker's Island
Day 4: Tooker's ---> 3 Mile (via kayaks, for some day hiking) ---> Tooker's
Day 5: Catch the ferry back to Copper Harbor

Thanks for any and all replies, this forum is awesome, great group of people, have learned so much perusing your pages!

Cheers,
Oatbwan
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Kayak trip question

Post by johnhens »

Welcome to the Forums!!

1. Merrit to Lane Cove, figure a couple of hours at least depending on how you paddle. Rounding Blake Point is a crap shoot. The earlier you paddle around the better. If it has been windy through the night, it will be rocking. Very exposed paddling to Locke Point. I assume you will have a weather radio or preferably a VHF?

2. If you fish Superior you need a MI fishing license.

3. Lane Cove side. The portage is short if you go via Stockly.

4. Seems fine.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

As Johnhens said, a "weather radio or VHF radio" I think is essential. Especially on this route.

My one hesitation would be scheduling two days to get to Belle Isle and getting on the Voyageur. Both of those sections can be, as Johnhens also said, "a crap shoot". If you hit Merritt and conditions are right, you may want to go around the point to Duncan Narrows. That stretch is VERY dangerous. Once around the point, the Palisades are next to impossible to land at.

There is a real good chance you may not be able to go on one of those two days.

Have a great trip. It is a beautiful area of the island!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Second what John said, plus...

What type of kayaks will you be paddling and what kind of exposure gear will you be using? The paddle from Rock around Scoville can even be challenging as well. Some of the roughest conditions I've been in at IR were around Scoville, not to mention Blake pt, and Locke and Hill Points on the way to Lane or Belle. I don't say these things to scare or deter you...a lot of days you can head out in those same areas and it will be glass calm, but you have to be prepared nonetheless. I've witnessed many up at the island paddling craft that is not designed for the potential sea state that Superior can kick up...some have no problem, others just make their trip difficult.

Even though your trip is short, I would be careful and schedule a weather day just in case.

Just personal preference, but if I were you, and if your concerned about kayaking around those more exposed areas...you can always portage over from Duncan and although Lane is nice...I would hop over to Belle Island and spend the night there, I like it there much better :) and I think other kayakers would agree....
oatbwan
NewbieCake

Post by oatbwan »

Hey Damon,
We will have wetsuits, rainproof jackets, wool sweaters, hats, longjohns, and lightweight down jackets in case of cold weather. We are renting expedition style kayaks from Keewana Adventure Co. in Copper Harbor. We will also be renting a VHF radio.

My worst case scenario at this point is that the water around Blake Point isn't hospitable, and we have to grunt through the Duncan/Tobin portage with 2 single kayaks full of gear&food in order to make our water taxi on Belle Isle on Saturday (see itinerary above). How long should I plan on such a portage taking? Is that a terrible idea?

Another option I am considering is having a water taxi take us to Belle Isle right after we arrive to RH, and then making our way back. That way we would be much less pressed for time in case Blake Point isn't cooperating. Thoughts?

Thank you all so much for your answers, what a wonderful resource this forum is!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I will add a little more "this is what to expect". We left Belle in the Fog and very little wind. We were protected by both Dean and Green islands from the residual waves from the previous night's winds. Once we were out of the lee of the islands we were close to Hill Point and paddled in the "washing machine" crap one encounters on the points with onshore waves.
As Damon said, it is good to plan a weather day. And have an alternate plan if the winds happen to be blowing when you get to RH the first day. Check the extended forecast too so that you don't get windbound somewhere that prevents you from getting back to RH.

I did the Tobin-Duncan portage my last time there, a few years ago (we did Duncan-Tobin). My back is still sore. We portaged 3 kayaks and gear (all expedition boats). It took us about 3 hours.

Have done the Duncan-Stockly and Stockly to Lane portages, short and easy.

The water taxi to Belle, good option. Again, remember to check the long range forecast.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I've kayaked these waters many times.

Actually, I kind of like your "water taxi to Belle Isle" idea. Going to Belle Isle direct when you first arrive, will give you more time to explore the Five Fingers area as well as some time to play the weather for your journey back to Rock Harbor around Blake Point.

As mentioned by others, Blake Point can be easy or difficult. I've seen it smooth as glass and treacherous. We were forced to spend a few days at Duncan Bay Narrows campground several years back, because of bad weather, before attempting our paddle around Blake (which turned out great, we loved Duncan Bay Narrows). I've even paddled around Blake Point solo. The key is to watch the weather and don't be stupid.

Enjoy your trip.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

I agree, the water taxi to Belle is probably a good idea since your trip is pretty short.

Make sure you get a weather briefing on the VHF every evening and morning when you get up to paddle. It's my experience that many people goto the island to kayak and they have absolutely no idea what they are getting themselves into. And that goes for everything with preparation, especially renting boats since your not familiar with them. Make sure the hatches are dry, but even so, carry all the essentials in dry bags, especially your sleeping bag, clothes, food, etc...