Leaving on Ship Tomorrow, Quick Questions.

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Leaving on Ship Tomorrow, Quick Questions.

Post by Rafiki »

Hey guys. Shelly and I are departing for Isle Royale tomorrow. We have our canoe and are ready to go. I initially thought that Shelly and I would be getting two sets of yolks so we could carry the canoe together. I guess it doesn't work that way, or perhaps maybe just not with this canoe, or maybe we were told wrong information. Regardless, I will be the canoe pack mule (which could be a good thing when it comes to portages and my drive to be ambitious....you know me my death wishes :wink: ). So here's the scoop, I was feel pretty confident and strong carrying the canoe in front of our hotel. Then the wind came and things were challenging. Any tips on how to balance it on the yolk pads should it become an awfully windy day all of a sudden. Shelly was also curious as to whether or not you guys bring backpacks when you canoe. We did because we are portaging stuff. We figured if we could carry our supplies on our backs it would leave or hands free to balance the canoe. Otherwise, we would have to make separate trips. Not to worry though, everything will be shipped around in dry bags on the canoe, but for land transportation reasons, we brought our backpacks. To put it quite simply, are we idiots :P
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
sgatz
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Leaving on Ship Tomorrow, Quick Questions.

Post by sgatz »

We had backpacks, and buckets (see my TR). Everything in my pack was in a dry bag (except my dirty clothes). We paired up in carrying the canoes, but ours were the ones we use here in Maryland for white water, so they were quite heavy. We didn't have yokes but I had some 4" thick foam leftover from a sofa cushion I replaced. So we used that as padding. Each of our canoes were different so each had to be carried differently. We made two trips for each portage (one for canoes, one for packs). To help with balance you might tie a section of paracord to the front end of the canoe and hold on to it.
Have fun! :P
Last edited by sgatz on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

In not a big canoer, but when I do Boundary Waters trips, I use a backpack as well. It's much easier to portage. And just like you, I put my stuff in dry bags inside the back pack.

As far as the wind thing, that's just part of the game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I invested in dry bags with backpack straps. Before that, I used my backpack which is frameless and would just get shoved into a standard dry bag when paddling.
Usually canoes have a yoke and pads in position for one person that is positioned to be balance with the canoe. Good ones are adjustable.

Below is a video showing how to carry with two people:
http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/show ... dium=email

Have a great trip Tim & Shelly!!!!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

After lugging traditional dry bags over portages, I too invested in a backpack drybag. It is WONDERFUL! Although, I don't think we've had any portages since I've gotten it. We were supposed to have several this spring, but with the snow, didn't do that itinerary. We will have plenty this fall though.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

From my experience last week you won't find much of a problem with wind on the portage trails. The trees protect you. Try using a rope secured to the front and rear to help keep your canoe balanced. Pull tension toward either end as needed. Aside from the Moskey to Lake Richie portage your other portages aren't too long. It won't take you too long to go back and pick up your pack in in a double trip. For a 6/10th of a mile portage I found it took my about 15 minutes each way although you have a longer and heavier canoe. Just figure out what works for you and anything that ends up being challenging just makes for a better story. If you didn't have any challenges, it wouldn't be such an interesting trip.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR ALL THE QUICK ADVICE. I see a lot of you posted back to me within 10 or 15 minutes of my initial post. You guys truly are heros and angels in disguise :lol: I am feeling a little bit more confident about our trip, but I can tell you that the "Lessons Learned" section about this visit to the island will be equal, if not greater, in length to my trip report. Again, I can't express how grateful I am to get some last minute tips from everyone. They will come in handy. And speaking of things that will come in handy, Mike and Nancy, I definitely will be considering the drybag backpack (saw them at REI) in the future if Shelly and I enjoy the canoeing aspects of the island. For this inital trip, I didn't want to go overboard (no pun intended) until we were sure about being passionate about canoeing. Alright, well I guess Ill catch everyone when I get back. Until then :wink:
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Here's how you portage with traditional Duluth packs. I didn't have the canoe up on my shoulders yet though:
120lb_Pack.jpg
Seriously, take the canoe across, then go back for the packs. This was a one time thing for me from the R.H. dock to the shelter, because my daughter had a sprained ankle. I plan an average 1/2 mile per hr for total portaging time, 2 trips and loading/unloading. I'm a moderate steady pace kind of guy. I prefer to carry the canoe solo, even with a heavy canoe--two people really have to stay in sync or you end up pushing/pulling and fighting each other. If the canoe is hard to balance front and back, you can tie the paddles and/or lifejackets in it so it sits pretty level on your shoulders.

Winds are not usually an issue on the portage--as Gimp said the trees protect you--I was blown off a boardwalk once, but there were 30+ mph winds that day. If it's really windy, just be careful and slow down (yeah, I know what I'm saying :) ).

Have a GREAT trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I've been waiting for Rafiki to post a trip report but it doesn't look like he has posted anything since he departed to IR last month. :?: :?:
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Gimp wrote:I've been waiting for Rafiki to post a trip report but it doesn't look like he has posted anything since he departed to IR last month. :?: :?:
I thought he had said he may not get around to it till December because of school.