Holy license fees Michigan

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Holy license fees Michigan

Post by Lucky Chicken »

So... I went to buy my license for our June trip, and BAM!!!! Michigan more than doubled its out of state license fee from last year. Guess my itinary is more solid now as I bought 24 and 72 hour licenses instead of the year long one.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Holy license fees Michigan

Post by Ingo »

Their website says $7 for 1 day, or $42 annual (all species) for non-residents. I haven't bought an annual before, but that's what I budgeted last fall when I started planning our summer trip :). So you made me look, since I started thinking $80 or something! What did it used to be?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

In 2011 I paid $42 for a non-resident all species annual fishing license.

Edited to Add:
Link to article stating increase in hunting/fishing licenses….
http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf ... to_ri.html
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

thats what it used to be. If you go on to buy it you dont get the option for the $42 one. it is now $10/ day or ~$76 for the year. I end up buying just day licenses for the days I expect to be on Supperior... Still cost $42 but not nearly the flexability.

Edit:
I found where it still says $42... but in the license system it deffinatly does not and the QA section it says why. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... --,00.html
Last edited by Lucky Chicken on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Well that stinks! Apparently they haven't updated the webpage I looked at.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I sent an email to the MI DNR about the erroneous (old) info on the website and politely expressing my view of the new pricing. Here's the response:

"I would first like to thank you for your interest in Michigan’s natural resources and the outdoor recreational activities the State of Michigan offers. I would also apologize for the misinformation that is listed on our Website in regards to the prices of fishing licenses in Michigan as the correct price for a non-resident All species fishing license is $76.00.

As of March 1, 2014, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources has undergone a Restructure to our licensing. To make the license structure simple, fair and efficient the Department eliminated the restricted fishing license. Anglers can now simply buy a license and go fishing as the license covers all species of fish. With regard to your question on pricing, during the legislative process, divergent views of what nonresident prices should be were expressed. Some felt the prices should be lower, while others felt the prices were too low due to the significantly higher non-resident fees being charged to Michiganders when visiting other states. The final enacted fees were a decision made by Michigan Legislature and are a balance of these opposing viewpoints.

I have contacted the correct parties to make sure that the 2013 information is removed from the DNR website and replaced with the correct 2014 information and pricing.

We appreciate your suggestions and want to thank you for taking the time to communicate these to us."
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I emailed the MI DNR to tell them I will no longer be buying a non resident annual license as it is too expensive.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

johnhens wrote:I emailed the MI DNR to tell them I will no longer be buying a non resident annual license as it is too expensive.
The DNR response:

We understand your concerns about tourism and the price of the non-resident fishing license. While the price change for the non-resident licenses is slightly higher than surrounding states, Michigan’s abundance of waterbodies—3,000 miles of Great Lakes shoreline, more than 11,000 inland lakes, and more than 36,000 miles of rivers and streams, including 12,000 miles of trout waters—means there are far more waters to manage than those of surrounding states. There are also far more waters in which to fish.

Please note that if you and your family plan to only fish for a few days, you can purchase a 72-hour license for $30 each. That price is good for residents and nonresidents alike and is good for all species, including trout and salmon. Also, children under 17 do not need a fishing license, regardless of residency status.

Best wishes on your next fishing experience—we hope you choose to return to Michigan.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

johnhens wrote:Michigan’s abundance of waterbodies—3,000 miles of Great Lakes shoreline, more than 11,000 inland lakes, and more than 36,000 miles of rivers and streams, including 12,000 miles of trout waters—means there are far more waters to manage than those of surrounding states.
Looks like the person answering forgot that Minnesota borders Michigan. (Which makes for a great trivia question, but those of us who visit IR know why..)

Not that our short-term non-resident licenses are priced any more competitively (they're not) but at least the annual is still in the low 40s. ($10ish trout stamp needed, though, if you want to fish them.)

As a sportsman who hunts and fishes a variety of things, I for one would like to see more parity between resident and non-resident licenses in each of the states, instead of this desire to 'sting' the outsiders because the neighboring state decided to do so, too. At times it almost seems like they are trying to be punitive...
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Tom,
As more folks choose not to spend money in MI for hotels, meals, tackle, ect. perhaps MI will change its mind.

Have fun if you are doing the MM show this weekend.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I had a fishing trip to the porkies planned for the fall.Looks like it will just be a hike now...I didn't realize how the prices went.oh well more miles I guess.My personal opinion is that all of the prices on all fishing is a ripoff! WI is 50 I was told today for nonres plus 10 for stamps which brings it up to Michigan fees ....to me a few fish that we throw back anyway , thats too much.Sorry but I have to say it GREEDY GREEDY DNR!!!!!!!! My wife and I paid 30 for our joint fishing permit plus I needed a 10 dollar inland stamp. I see no need to gouge the outa staters! :shock:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2