Portage from Rock Harbor to Duncan Bay

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Portage from Rock Harbor to Duncan Bay

Post by TyroneousMonk »

Does anyone have any insight on the portage from R.H. to Duncan bay. I am intrigued with this area of the island and would be grateful for any tips!
Cheers, Ty
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Portage from Rock Harbor to Duncan Bay

Post by Ingo »

Hi Ty,
The portage starts in Tobin harbor, goes up almost 200 ft over 1/2 mile, then down very steeply over the last 1/4 mile--and most of that descent is in about 1/8 mile. It's a bear, especially the climb going the other way from Duncan to Tobin. I've always done it in 2 trips, first will carry the canoe to the top of the ridge, then go back for the pack, take a good rest on the ridge, then repeat to get down. That breaks it up and makes it a little easier. In either direction I consider the ridge to be 1/2 way, at least in terms of effort (although not in distance). The north side is steep enough to have a couple of switchbacks near the top where you need to be a little careful not to knock the ends of the canoe. My daughter and I took about 2 hrs the last time I did it. About 3.5 hrs with the family of 4 when the girls were in their young teens--I portaged both canoes that trip :( .

So that's the "bad". The great part is that once you get across you're in my favorite area, the portages are easy, and the paddling is relatively protected :). Duncan Narrows, Duncan Bay, Lane Cove, and Belle Isle are all great campgrounds. If you have canoe trip experience with significant portaging and are up to a challenge I'd say go for it, the reward is worth the pain. If not, I'm wouldn't recommend that trip to a 1st timer. There are also other options utilizing the Voyageur II that circumnavigates the island, or the water taxi (if the budget allows). Hope this helps!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Saw your other question under another thread... Most (maybe all?) of the rental canoes are 17' aluminum Grummans. Current models are listed at 75 lbs. I thought they made one that was somewhat lighter, and maybe they used to, but they shouldn't be any more than that.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Ty, Ingo covered the portage very well. It is hard work and you really have to watch your footing and the canoe. I am attaching a profile and a couple of pictures. As far as rentals, as far as I know they are as Ingo said. You can also rent one from Grand Portage Transportation which are also 17' Aluminum Grumman's.
Tobin to Duncan Portage Profile.png
Attachments
First section north of the Greenstone looking back
First section north of the Greenstone looking back
One of the switchbacks on the north side
One of the switchbacks on the north side
Sign on the Duncan side of the portage
Sign on the Duncan side of the portage
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Post by TyroneousMonk »

dig the pic's!
TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Post by TyroneousMonk »

Cheers for the insight, right now we are still weighting the options of where to go? Its looking like the weather in Mid June and the number of peep's heading out will determine the fate of the visit! Right now we got 4 in the group even-ing out the portage and for me personally just by the look on the topical I can tell this area is a diamond!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Here's a link to pics of a trip from Moskey Basin to Rock Harbor, with pics of that portage and the area: http://moskeybasin.com/Isle_Royale/IR_P ... .html#grid
TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Post by TyroneousMonk »

Any advice for canoeing with gear? I never actually had to paddle with gear in a boat other than a day pack, is there really any difference?
Ingo or anyone with an opinion, which site did you prefer over the other, Duncun Narrows or Duncun Bay? Our group is looking at 4 days from the 16th of June to the 19th ( looking at adding date to calendar after this!) and we are wondering where we should start?
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

In my opinion there is a difference between a loaded boat and an unloaded boat.First I think that they take a bit more power and energy to paddle.Second keep your heavies low, keep your center of gravity as low as possible.I would also recommend some sort of cargo retention to keep cargo from shifting.ropes, bungees or even a cargo net from a car work well.just a few thoughts, hope it helps.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

In addition to Tree rattt's comments, I would also like to reitterate keeping heavy thinkgs as low as possable and as much the the center as possable. Also dont stack gear above the gunwales even if it is light as it can destabalize you in high winds or seas. Pack light and tie it down! You should be able to flip without loosing anything.

Enjoy your trip!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

One more suggestion if I may.If you could find the time and equipment give it a try loaded.Play in the shallows and see what it is all about....have a little fun :).Before we go out we always practice self rescue, assisted rescue and the like.Isle Royale is beautiful.....but it is not a place for suprises! Learn and be sure of the skills needed,down to the smallest detail.I have seen that lake turn in minutes!Better to have a good story to tell and paddle another day!

Lucky Chicken ...great suggestion on the flip and no gear loss!
TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Post by TyroneousMonk »

Cheers for the advice it's always nice to get a different perspective, I the time grows closer the excitement builds and you tend to over look some of things!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I have a slight preference for the Duncan Narrows campsite, others like Duncan Bay better. I think the Narrows is more scenic, but it's less secluded. The one time I've camped there we were lucky to have it to ourselves and got the best of both--but that's probably the exception. At both sites the shelters are close together, but you have more privacy at Duncan Bay. The shelters at the Narrows are right by the dock and you get more boat traffic there. But the tent sites are nice and a bit away.

As for the gear, as others have said, the biggest thing is to keep the weight low in the canoe. A loaded canoe is actually preferred on lakes because it tracks straighter and doesn't get blown around by the wind as much, and most canoes are more stable with some weight in them. Also, make sure everything fits in a pack--you don't want to have loose extras to carry--in addition to paddles/lifejackets/fishing rods, etc.
TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Post by TyroneousMonk »

cheers again Ingo the insite is much appreciated!!
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

I really like the Duncan Bay area and have stayed at the narrows more than others, however, I like Duncan bay better...definitely more secluded and you don't get the fishing boat traffic. Most fisherman and other boaters on the island have more than accomodating with us and we've enjoyed many we've hung out, but it's just the disruption of the solitude we go up there for. Back in Duncan Bay is a prime spot for evening paddles as well.

A bonus to the narrows though is your closer to the open water fishing. I've done pretty good rounding blake and dropping lines around the Pallisades.

Damon..