Kayakers rescued

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Kayakers rescued

Post by Ingo »

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-s ... 014/07/14/

A couple details I got wrong in my trip report: they were paddling to Lucille Island, not Windigo, and they did recover their boats, apparently left at the other marina.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Kayakers rescued

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I wonder what that cost... I'm sure it was worth it!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Lucky Chicken wrote:I wonder what that cost... I'm sure it was worth it!
In this case the cost was actually fairly low I think. The responders were regular Coast Guard (not Auxiliary) from Grand Marais - CG Station North Superior. They trailered their 25 ft boat to Grand Portage because it was quicker than fighting the 5 ft seas from Grand Marais. I'm not trying to minimize the costs but since the rescuers were already on duty, the only real added cost was the fuel and maintenance hours on the boat. And even that is hard to determine since when real operations like these are not encountered every so often they still must spend the time and fuel to train. The time spent in operations like this apply towards the required training hours so they saved that money.

If these kayakers had not carried marine radios this rescue would never have taken place.

SEMPER PARATUS - Always Ready
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I meant a cost to the kayakers. If you are stuck on a mountain search and rescue will come get you in a helicopter for ~10k minimum. Some insurance covers this, but not most. You can actually get search and rescue insurance. http://www.backpacker.com/blogs/62
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Lucky Chicken wrote:I meant a cost to the kayakers. If you are stuck on a mountain search and rescue will come get you in a helicopter for ~10k minimum. Some insurance covers this, but not most. You can actually get search and rescue insurance. http://www.backpacker.com/blogs/62
The Coast Guard does not back charge for their SAR.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

You guys tweaked my interest... If the CG did charge for SAR (understanding that they don't, and can't under law), here's their rates: http://www.uscg.mil/directives/ci/7000- ... 310_1N.pdf. Assuming that 25' is a "small" response boat, $1571 per hr, plus personnel time ($26 - $221 per hr). Not sure if they would consider time on the road as boat time or not :?: Note that they do prosecute and charge for hoax calls.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote:You guys tweaked my interest... If the CG did charge for SAR (understanding that they don't, and can't under law), here's their rates: http://www.uscg.mil/directives/ci/7000- ... 310_1N.pdf. Assuming that 25' is a "small" response boat, $1571 per hr, plus personnel time ($26 - $221 per hr). Not sure if they would consider time on the road as boat time or not :?: Note that they do prosecute and charge for hoax calls.
It's very difficult to break out or itemize operating costs of non-private enterprise operations since there is typically no lost opportunity cost when an asset is busy doing something that is unscheduled. In other words, if you are busy making money for your employer and then he farms you out to do something else, it is fairly easy to calculate the lost opportunity costs (i.e. what you are worth or what is lost). But if you are sitting around, doing nothing (no slight intended to the CG) and then go do something unscheduled, what is the real or extra cost? In the case of a SAR it is only the fuel plus the "wear and tear" on the equipment. And even that analysis is not completely accurate because having just completed a SAR, the crew can probably skip one or more training exercises in the near future since they got qualifying hours on the books. BTW, it is far cheaper to trailer a boat than motor it.

It would be great if a truly "pay as you go" system of paying for government services existed. Fuel taxes attempt this for highway maintenance. What about CG ice breaking on the Great Lakes in the winter months. It most directly benefits the Laker boats hauling iron ore, coal, grain, etc. But then it "trickles down" to the steel mill workers not laid off. The mills could stock up on supplies but they don't since they know the ice breakers will be there (except last winter, oops). Same for power plants needing coal and so on.

Another way to think about things, why just bill for the hourly operating costs? Capital equipment (boats, etc) needs periodic maintenance and replacement. Should we amortize those costs or a portion of them? How to figure that out? The Coast Guard used to spend most of their time in SAR missions. Today it is homeland defense and security. At some governmental level it was decided the overall economic good benefits from "free" ice breaking and "free" SAR. Hard to fairly allocate and fairly pay for the resources.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

So between big government and red tape and who knows what else? Who can figure the cost? We should all be glad that they are there to help us when we need them :) .For those poor folks the rescue was priceless I'm sure! :)
.....and no charge to boot .....bonus!!!!!! :)

THANKS COAST GUARD! !

I find this very interesting,I always assumed that there would be a big bill with a rescue. Our great country is full of suprises. :)
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

That's what I thought too tree rattt. I know if you get stuck in the Great Smokey Mountains and SAR has to come get you (helicoptor or otherwise) you pay for it. Never been in that situation... i'll walk out with my sprained ankle and save 10k thanks! Heck I would crutch out with a broken leg for 10K... I have carried other hikers on a backwoods streatcher back to the trail head that had problems (mostly day hikers and "tourists"), but none of those were too far in.

Good to know the coast guard dosen't charge, makes the marine radio even more usefull... I would tough it out a lot longer if I had to pay.

PS: I would like to thank all the Coast Guard men and women for their service! Without them most of us wouldn't make it to Ilsle Royale, or it would be a lot more expensive.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

I'd also like to mention a little known aspect to the Coast Guard team. That is the Coast Guard Auxiliary. It is made up of 32,000 men and women that are 100% unpaid volunteers. They provide their own vessels and even buy their own uniforms. They do get reimbursed for fuel when under direct orders of the CG. There is no other civilian branch of government service like it. When under orders from the CG they have the authority and capability of the regular CG except for direct law enforcement and they cannot carry firearms. They can even serve as crew members on CG vessels.

There are about 50,000 active duty and reservist CG so the Auxiliary makes up about 40% of the total force. Since 9/11 the active duty CG mission has shifted away from the historical SAR to homeland defense (in the U.S. and globally) and law enforcement (drug and boarder). This has meant that the Auxiliary has taken up a lot of the slack for SAR, boating safety and maintenance of aids to navigation. You can spot the difference between the two sides by the colors of their uniform insignia. The regular CG is gold while the Auxiliary is silver.

p.s. you don't need a boat to join. 8)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Wow, that is really cool! I almost joined the coastgaurd out of highschool....but I am ashamed to say That I chickened out at the last minute :( .My buddy and I were going to join together ....he decided to become a State trooper. I have always wondered how that would have turned out. :) Oh well ....such is life!