Hiking with Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

dextermichigan
NewbieCake

Hiking with Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard

Post by dextermichigan »

I have an idea. I have a new inflatable stand-up paddleboard. It's 22 lbs, but folds into a bag around the size of a 50L pack. I'm trying to figure out if I can hike in, maybe to Moskey Basin, then paddle across the interior lakes. It's like portaging, but the paddleboard collapses small.

Anyone ever try this?
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Hiking with Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard

Post by treeplanter »

Not with a paddleboard, but I have a Klepper (folding kayak) and frequently break it down into its bags whenever I have to portage. It takes some time to break it down and reassemble, but I much rather do that than to carry a full-size kayak on my back. If it works for a Klepper, it should work for a folding paddle board.

EDIT: I should add that in late May I was paddling in Rock Harbor, near the lodge. I needed to get to the Tobin Harbor dock but didn’t have the time to make the six mile paddle around Scoville Point. I padded to the marina, broke my boat down, put it into its bags, and hiked across the Rock Harbor peninsula to the Tobin Harbor. I reassembled my boat and paddled away.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I have not tried this with a SUP, but I did paddle from Rock Harbor to Moskey Basin and then portaged to Lake Ritchie (and then to Chippewa Harbor) with my Alpacka packraft.

The biggest issue is that it is a 2 mile portage from Moskey Basin to Lake Ritchie. I don't know how well a SUP packs for backpacking purposes. 22 pounds/ 11 kilos might make for some awkward packing, but if this is not an issue, then apart from the walk, this could be an interesting idea.

Keep in mind that there are cleaning requirements that the park wants you to do to keep invasive species from entering interior lakes.

Just because something hasn't been attempted doesn't mean that it cannot be done.

Good luck!
kenlarson
NewbieCake

Post by kenlarson »

Take a look a the Alpaka Pack Rafts http://www.alpackarafts.com/ Pack Raft: 5 lbs; Paddle: 1.8lbs
Great for inland lakes and portages.