Fishing near the lodge

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

JFD
NewbieCake

Fishing near the lodge

Post by JFD »

I'll be working at the lodge near the end of July for a few days. Probably wont have but a short amount of time to get a line wet right near the cabins on Tobin Harbor. Is it worth me bringing a rod on this trip? What can a guy expect to encounter fishing near the lodge and cabins?

Thanks,
JFD
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Fishing near the lodge

Post by Midwest Ed »

Hello JFD,

I say go for it. Almost everyone that posts here are visitors to the Island that hike or paddle as fast as they can on their first day, trying to get as far away from Rock Harbor (actually called Snug harbor where the marina and lodge are located). Rock Harbor is the common name given to the small metropolis (by Island standards). As such, there has not been much reported on fishing activity nearby the lodge or in Tobin Harbor either. But I don't see why you would not be able to pull at least a Northern or two out, especially in some of the shallower grassy areas of Tobin Harbor. The other thing that Rock Harbor has is lots of boating activity so you might be able to make friends with someone that is boating or even rent one of the Lodge's small outboards for a late afternoon/early evening (or day off maybe?). Not too far away are a number of shoals where you might get lucky with a Lake Trout. You'll need to be able to get near the bottom or somewhere in between with a fair size spoon-like lure. I'm not sure what the favorites are. A Michigan State fishing license will be required for fishing in Lake Superior waters. None is required for inland lakes. See pages 7 & 10 in The Greenstone - NPS 2016 Newspaper for more fishing information. This Nautical Chart #14976 might help should you find yourself in a boat.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013