Wolves vs Moose Showdown

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Less Paul
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Wolves vs Moose Showdown

Post by Less Paul »

I think that’s pretty much about the only thing that’s holding wolves back from aggression. They’re still intimidated because we don’t act like prey.

But should one of them make that jump and turn to aggressive pursuit, we humans are going to run.

Sure, we’ll likely bluff first, following “the rules,” but if the wolf presses the issue, we’ll run….further exhibiting our “prey-ness.”

It’s a slippery slope indeed. IR has a few of those. ;-)
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Wolves vs Moose Showdown

Post by Backpacker534 »

Well, I guess I'll toss my uneducated (wolf theory) two cents into the debate. While we may not act like prey, wolves are a predatory, carnivorous animal. While there may not have been any serious human-wolf interactions to this point, I don't think we should wholeheartedly believe that it is not possible. It appears obvious from my experiences on the island and from reading postings by other visitors, that wolves are becoming less wary of us. If their food supply continues to dwindle is there a possibility that they could become more aggressive toward humans, especially single hikers in more remote areas? I don't intend to stop visiting Isle Royale and definitely do not want to be an alarmist, however, I just don't think we can say one way or another with absolute certainty how they will act in the future. I guess being ever-vigilant and continuing to observe solid LNT principles and common sense is the best option right now. It would be really interesting to sit down with Rolf Peterson and discuss this issue and hear his ideas.