Fishing/Hiking w/9 year old son

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Alisdad 49417
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Fishing/Hiking w/9 year old son

Post by Alisdad 49417 »

My son and I are planning a trip to Isle Royale for the 1st time this summer - the first week of July.

We're avid fishers and comfortable in understanding of the gear and regulations.
He is in good shape athletically, but not strong enough for portaging so we're planning to hike and fish from shore unless there is way to break it up and rent a canoe along the way as part of the journey.
Can anyone offer advice to make the most of 7-8 day trip with fishing and exploring being the focus?

Thank you.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Fishing/Hiking w/9 year old son

Post by MikeT »

Canoes and boats can be rented from the lodge. It can be difficult to fish from the shore in a lot of areas. The majority of the lakeside campgrounds have docks to fish from. You need to have a Michigan fishing license when fishing in Lake Superior, but not on the inland lakes.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

If you're comfortable in a canoe, your can spend a week on Rock Harbor and Moskey Basin without getting bored. I've done it twice, once unintentionally due to an injury and once purposefully because portaging was an issue. Caribou Island is a great campsite, and you have the mainland ones too. I can't say much about fishing, other than I know there's fish there and that people (other people that is) have caught them :? .

You do need to be careful on Rock Harbor, it's a large body of water, and it does get rough, but less likely that time of year. Make sure you have a weather radio and pay attention to the next day's forecast. We almost got stuck on Tookers Island once (but in Sept). So things to do/see:

Rock Harbor CG (1st or last day): Hike to Scoville Pt, 4 mi round trip, beautiful. Also ranger talks in the evenings.
Three Mile: Hike up Mt Franklin, 5 mi round trip, views of the north side and Canada.
Daisy Farm: Hike up to Mt Ojibway, 5 mi loop, similar but different views than Mt Franklin. The wolf researchers often give a talk on Weds.
Caribou Island: Beautiful. No hiking but great little beach on the lake side. Next to Cemetery Island.
From either Caribou or Daisy you can visit the Rock Harbor Lighthouse, Edison Fishery, and the wolf researchers cabin with lots of moose antlers and bones. All very interesting. Note that crossing Middle Island Passage from Caribou to the Lighthouse you need to be careful of rough water.
Moskey Basin: Everyone's favorite. Spend a couple nights and do the 2 mi hike/portage into Lake Richie for some day fishing, known for it's northern (even I have caught there).
There are also trails on Mott Island where the Park HQ is, but I haven't hiked them. Isn't exactly the wilderness experience, at least around the dock area, but I assume the trails get away from there.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

All great ideas from Ingo. I will add that the canoe rentals are also available for starting in Tobin Harbor as well (no portaging over needed). This gives paddling access to all of Tobin Harbor, which is generally more shielded from the weather than is Rock Harbor Channel. Also gives easy access to the dock at Hidden Lake for an easy 2 mile round trip hike to Lookout Louise. And if you get tired of paddling or the wind is a little strong, the Lodge rents small aluminum boats with outboard motors. Just be aware of the one night consecutive stay limit at the Rock Harbor campground. You can leave for one night and then return though.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Alisdad 49417
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Alisdad 49417 »

Guys - that is really helpful info and gives me better ideas on where to focus. Thank you!