Portage Distance

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

LarryEngel
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Portage Distance

Post by LarryEngel »

What is the portage distance now between Chickenbone and McCargoe Cove.
I have heard it was increased to 2 miles from 0.7 miles.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Portage Distance

Post by Midwest Ed »

Since 2010 it has been listed in "The Greenstone" at 1.2 miles (including this years, 2018 Greenstone). In the 2010 issue it is noted that the portage was lengthened that year. I have seen documents older than 2010 that list it at 0.7 miles but nothing at 2.0 miles.
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

It's about .8 or .9 miles by my thumb, 1.2 with a bit of back and forth would be within range. It's only slightly longer than it used to be due to some down trees/boggy area. The trick is to not put back in as soon as you see water (coming from MCC) continue a bit further until you see the open water put in.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I’d go with the 1.2 in the Greenstone. Pre 2010 (thanks Ed for looking it up) you could paddle up the creek at McCargoe and save about 1/2 mile. Now it starts at the dock. Not sure if they closed the creek landing because of loon nesting or the beaver dams. The trails illustrated map isn’t very clear either. I have no idea where 2 miles came from, but it is now longer than the old .7 in any case.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by Chorizo »

Having done this portage a few weeks ago I can confirm the 1.2mi length. Seeing the stream in a few places along the way one has to wonder how this portage was ever any shorter, but the island is ever changing. After putting in at Chickenbone Lake there are still a few downed trees in the water that you will have to navigate but it is passable, or at least it was for us.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Chorizo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 am Having done this portage a few weeks ago I can confirm the 1.2mi length. Seeing the stream in a few places along the way one has to wonder how this portage was ever any shorter, but the island is ever changing. After putting in at Chickenbone Lake there are still a few downed trees in the water that you will have to navigate but it is passable, or at least it was for us.
Thanks for the confirmation. Is that by GPS?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by Chorizo »

Ingo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:08 am
Chorizo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 am Having done this portage a few weeks ago I can confirm the 1.2mi length. Seeing the stream in a few places along the way one has to wonder how this portage was ever any shorter, but the island is ever changing. After putting in at Chickenbone Lake there are still a few downed trees in the water that you will have to navigate but it is passable, or at least it was for us.
Thanks for the confirmation. Is that by GPS?
No. You can figure it out with the NG/Trails Illustrated map. It's very clear on the map where the take-out/put-in at Chickenbone is if you have done it. The stream is represented as a single blue line on the map. Following that line from McCargoe Cove toward Chickenbone Lake... as soon as the water broadens on the map, (where the thin blue line of stream opens and becomes narrow lake) that is where the take-out/put-in is. I estimated the distance the day we did it and came up with 1.2mi. so seeing that the Greenstone lists it as the same is of no surprise. Hope that makes sense.