June fishing inland

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Lane
NewbieCake

June fishing inland

Post by Lane »

Hello. New here. Going to IR on short notice - 3 weeks. Have trans set to and fro. Arriving 6/22 for a five day hike - and possible fishing. I've looked all over net for info and read as much as I could find on this forum for fishing info - still stumped. I have questions if they can be answered. My only ops to fish would be Richie and Chickenbone. Will I actually be able to access Chickenbone from West Site to fish and will it be worth it to try? Same question for Richie. I figured I would bring a spinning outfit with just a couple lures to try to catch dinner one or two nights. A couple perch would be perfect, but it seems pike are the main fare. I have no desire to cut up a pike... but if that's my best chance for dinner, then...
Thanks for your reply. Lot's of good info here. Our first trip to IR, so just going to hike it this time.

Thanks, Lane
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: June fishing inland

Post by Tom »

Short answer: Yes.

For Chickenbone, both the West campsite, as well as the trail over to McCargoe offer plenty of places where you are along the shore and there is enough open space to cast.
For Ritchie, there are several places, especially on the more eastern side of camp, where shore casting works. Last time I was there I watched a couple young boys having the time of their life fishing...

While these tend to be 'heavier' fished shore areas, keep in mind how under fished these lakes can be...
Lane
NewbieCake

Post by Lane »

Thanks Tom. Any chances to catch perch over 8"? I obviously can't bring a 'tackle box' along - maybe a couple spoons... but if perch can be had I'd gravitate toward a couple small jig heads and twisters. Or should I just count on a small pike for dinner? 24" I believe - I'll look it up. Of course then I may have to contend with catching a perch and losing it to pike...
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'll let others chime in if they've ever saw them get that big, but given the volume and size of the northern pike in many inland lakes, I think many of the perch get consumed as baitfish..
That said, I know I've watched them swimming (along with sunnies) at Ritchie in the past.
Hopefully you can catch a right-sized northern. Several years ago when fishing Wood Lake, I was catching them on just about every other cast.. Except they were all so big (but fun) that it would have been wanton waste to have fileted one up for dinner for just the two of us. Bummer there weren't more people at camp, with whom to share...
BuckeyeUnionBlue
NewbieCake

Post by BuckeyeUnionBlue »

Piggy backing off this post, If I can only bring one spool of line (backpacking weight conservation and I only have one spool that fits my reel anyways) should focus on doing some Superior shore fishing or focusing on inland lakes? Thanks for all the great fishing info!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

First, good for you following the request to use seperate spools of line for the Lake and inland lakes. You stand a better chance of catching a pike in an inland lake than a trout from Superior shore fishing, IMO. Which end of the Island?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

For what it's worth, as a bad fisherman I've caught fish from shore on the inland lakes, and none from a dock on Superior (one in a canoe). Figure if I can throw a spoon in and catch something, anyone can :D .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
BuckeyeUnionBlue
NewbieCake

Post by BuckeyeUnionBlue »

Much appreciated! We are going into rock harbor and will be hiking around the east side of the island. In theory I can fish the inland lakes first and then go into Lake Superior, just can’t go the other way around right? Now I just need to be ready to hook something with all those teeth! I’m used to lipping bass down here...sure can’t do that with a pike.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

BuckeyeUnionBlue wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:50 pm In theory I can fish the inland lakes first and then go into Lake Superior, just can’t go the other way around right?
That's my understanding, but I would confirm when you register--or call before hand. Lake Richie and Chickenbone are your best bets.
BuckeyeUnionBlue wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:50 pm Now I just need to be ready to hook something with all those teeth! I’m used to lipping bass down here...sure can’t do that with a pike.
Steel leaders are a must.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Lane
NewbieCake

Post by Lane »

I saw a post where someone was asking how to 'pack' a rod. As I was walking through Wallace Enterprises and Fine Goods, I spotted a box of 'noodles' for pool use. These are 2 1/4 inch diameter. It looked to be a perfect rod protector. So for 69 cents I got me one. Cut it just a bit longer than my 2 pc rod, cut a slit along the length and I now have a lightweight rod tube.
IRhiker
NewbieCake

Post by IRhiker »

Lane wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:28 am I saw a post where someone was asking how to 'pack' a rod. As I was walking through Wallace Enterprises and Fine Goods, I spotted a box of 'noodles' for pool use. These are 2 1/4 inch diameter. It looked to be a perfect rod protector. So for 69 cents I got me one. Cut it just a bit longer than my 2 pc rod, cut a slit along the length and I now have a lightweight rod tube.
Lane--that's a brilliant idea for a rod protector. My two boys and me will be on the island at the end of the month and we have rods that break down into two pieces. Your noodle idea will be perfect to protect our rods on our packs from stray branches, etc. as we navigate the island and look for the best fishing sites. Thank you!