What interior lakes would you take in a packraft to fish on?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: What interior lakes would you take in a packraft to fish on?

Post by bobcat »

You could be at Malone fairly quickly if you took the seaplane in the afternoon and hopped the Voyager ferry in the morning, as it gets to Malone Bay around 11 am. This would be a lot less expensive than the water taxi, which is posted as $289 one way RH to Malone Bay. I wonder if there are any private fishing guides that could run you out from Grand Portage, although that may not be allowed under park concession rules.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

teddy12b wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:33 pm Since I'd originally posted this in January '19 I did end up buying an alpacaraft mule pack raft and I've been using it on the rivers near where I live. I'm still debating on how to get on the island for a quick fishing trip this spring.

I'd like to fly direct from Houghton to Malone Bay and either crash there for the night or press on into the inner lakes. I know they say only use lures and barbless hooks on the interior islands and it makes me wonder why. Is the fishing just that good on those interior islands that you have to bend the barbs back to make it sporting?

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken I think I can get all checked in at the Malone Ranger Station and go in from there right?
As others mentioned the seaplane flies into and out of either Rock Harbor or Windigo. Your best option as Midwest Ed mentions is to fly to Rock and take the VII to Malone. The pinched barb rule is to protect the pike fishery. Easier to unhook and release smaller pike with a pinched barb.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Bobcat1 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 am Anyone know anything about Sargent Lake? I have a 1959 park brochure that has the high-level, not-for-navigating map that shows a trail from McCargoe Cove (across from the dock on the opposite side) to Sargent, and apparently some outfitter used to keep canoes stashed over there for fishing clients. After 60 years the trail will be long gone, but on a topo map the route is pretty obvious as you climb from McCargoe, cross a saddle and descend down a ridge with swamp on both sides. On Google Earth there appears to be some open ridge around the saddle, that might make a reasonable campsite 1/4 mile back from the water's edge. Exploring Sargent with a xc-camping permit, a fishing rod and a packraft for a couple days might be fun.
I have been to Sargent a few times, hiking in to fish. Went in off the Greenstone. A good friend took a canoe in from MacCargoe. Paddled across from the dock and bushwacked, portaged his canoe into Sargent. No trail to speak of. Nice lake.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

I have been to Sargent a few times, hiking in to fish. Went in off the Greenstone. A good friend took a canoe in from MacCargoe. Paddled across from the dock and bushwacked, portaged his canoe into Sargent. No trail to speak of. Nice lake.
That sounds like what a good friend of mine and I refer to as a "sufferfest!"