Leaving canoes?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

sgatz
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Leaving canoes?

Post by sgatz »

Thinking of doing a "side" backpacking trip off of the canoeing part of the trip. This is what I have so far...
IR Queen to RH
Water taxi to CH
Portage to Lake Richie
Fish Richie for a day..
Leave canoes (locked up at Richie) and hike up to Daisy Farm
Hike from DF up to Sargent Lake and camp overnight (with cross country camping permit of course)
Return to Lake Richie and continue with canoeing/portaging part of trip.

Question: Does the park service have issue with us leaving 2 canoes (way off to the side - out of sight of most people) locked up for a few days?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Leaving canoes?

Post by Ingo »

Don't know, I'd give them a call in Houghton.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Not knowing where you are planning overnights, here are a couple thoughts:

Portage to Lake Richie - It's a doozy. If you're not hung up on Chippewa, maybe taxi to Moskey. While the portage is longer, I think it would be easier.
Sargent Lake - What's your approach? Depending on your water route, I may have considered coming from the east side of Chickenbone where you could follow up the valley.
As for leaving boats, as Ingo notes, no harm in calling to ask. That said, I've personally seen canoes or kayaks left unattended for what would have been at least a day at: McCargoe, Daisy Farm, Malone Bay (on the Siskiwit side), Ritchie (at the portage point to Moskey) and Feldtman. (I think this was a park staffer or concession employee who would boat to Rainbow, and then come over to fish.)
As an aside, I've never seen them locked up... And typically paddles and pfds tucked underneath. Perhaps speaks to the culture of the island, but I get there could be risks there. Also, as you note, always off to the side as to not interfere with the portage location operations.
Would love to hear if you get an 'official' response from the park!
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

When I did a canoe trip two summers ago, I portaged my canoe from Moskey to Richie and left it overnight while I stayed at Moskey. The next day I hiked to Richie with my portage pack, life preserver, and paddles. I found my canoe just as I had left it, with no issues. As Tom said, the culture at the Isle is usually very good.

I had to laugh, on my portage with my canoe, a fisherman offered to portage it to Richie for me in exchange for using it for fishing. I was renting the canoe from an outfitter and didn't feel comfortable doing that. Also, I wanted to portage the canoe to say that "I did it."
sgatz
LNT Expert

Post by sgatz »

Ok, I'll give them a call and see what they say. Most people that go to IR aren't going to be the type of people that would typically mess with someone's stuff.
@ Tom - We are "hung up" on Chippewa, Been there several times and love it.
As for the approach to Sargent, I thought of coming from Daisy Farm and approaching the lake from that direction.
sgatz
LNT Expert

Post by sgatz »

Thought this would be an easier, quicker approach (not between swampy areas from Chicken Bone).
Easy-
=================================================================
Hard-

Don't need this type of situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YKD5hCShI
:D
Last edited by sgatz on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Johnhens has visited and fished Sargent Lake. Here is a link to his description of getting there.

I really do not think you will have any problems leaving a canoe for a day or two. Worst case is extremely slim that a group of unsupervised youth might eye it for a joy ride, especially if you leave it close to the water. It's an extremely small risk but it could happen. Just move it far enough away and out of sight from the trails. A lightweight cable and padlock would complete your insurance and leave you completely at ease.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
sgatz
LNT Expert

Post by sgatz »

Just called the IR NPS at (906) 482-0984 and asked.... they said that there was not a prohibition to leaving canoes etc., but we would be doing it at our own risk. My dad would probably bring a bike cable lock or two along just to be sure.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Better safe than sorry, but I can't imagine anyone would mess them.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I have left my really expensive kayak (not bragging, I bought for cheap with hole include) for a couple of days tucked out of the way, but still visible, at multiple pull outs. I don't know if anybody borrowed it, but it was there when I got back.'