Circumnavigate Kayak Questions

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Circumnavigate Kayak Questions

Post by Rafiki »

Thanks Sean. Just sent you a private messsage. Please get back to me when you have a second.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

I've circumnavigated the island now 5 times. In as little as 5-6 days and as long as 10. The longer the better for sure. However, my advice, without several lake superior kayaking trips under your belt, I would not advocate a circumnavigation of Isle Royale, and certainly not solo. I've been around areas of the island in 8' seas. Those that go about a solo trip, I would not only recommend very solid self rescue skills but a roll as well. That's my opinion of course, but I think it's important. Being able to self rescue during practice is one thing, doing it for real in a nasty sea state or freezing cold water is a whole different situation. Further, I wouldn't recommend a 14' foot boat or rec boat for that matter, especially for a circumnavigation. You really need a sea kayak of 16' or better. Of course people have done it in shorter boats, but people do things when they shouldn't and manage to scrape by... it's a compounding effect, from the choice of gear, to your level of experience to the very details of your trip planning, with plans b, c and d to follow if needed. On a more positive note, with the timeframe you would be going, the weather is usually more stable and you could plan a longer trip to allow for those weather days. Get the proper training this summer, a good boat and be familiar with all of your gear...it could be possible. You just don't want to cut any corners up there. Things can goto hell very quickly.
Dogger
NewbieCake

Post by Dogger »

Hi, Fisrt post so I will give some paddling background. Got my first kayak early july 2015. Never in a kayak before. Took a 1hr. basic class spend some time on a local lake. Learned how to wet reenter. Did a couple of overnights at whitefish bay. Someday I might learn to roll.

In August on the Ranger for the island. In 2016 & 17 went over in june and again in august/september. All 5 of those trips were between 22 and 26 days. In 2018 I only made one trip out june 1 to july 4. Also in 2018 I put the kayak in the des plains river below Joliet, december 1 I got to the gulf.

I have agreed with the above posts 14 ft. is not a open water boat. Isle Royale would like a minimum of 15.5.

The Isle Royale light house is cool. You can land on the north side and tie up to some brush. Been out there a couple of times. On one trip I went to all 4 lighthouses. Another time just went out from greenstone neach. It is farther across siskiwit bay than to the lighthouse. You just have to be mindful of the weather.

Night paddling, to be coast guard complaint you need a 360 degree white light. Green and red light have there own purpose on a boat. Just to say in the 6 trips I have never seen the coast guard on the island.

On the subject of big waves. If you are in them you wanted to paddle them. I have been out in 7fts a couple of times. But I wanted to go and play. You will know they are there before you go around a point it will be your choice to paddle into them. Your radio is your friend. You will know what the waves are the night before. When the sea is going to pick up.

Enjoy the island. You will have a cross country permit there are some nice places to camp. You do not have to run campsite to campsite