Fly Fishing or Casting?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

WarrentheFishingGuy
NewbieCake

Fly Fishing or Casting?

Post by WarrentheFishingGuy »

Hi All,

A few of my buddies and I are going to camp on the island the last week of May this year for the first time. We have heard the fishing is outstanding and would love to try it out. Due to packing difficulties, some of us have collapsible fly rods that we may bring. Is there good fly fishing on the Island? What streams should I go to that early in the season? Or, does it make more sense to bring a casting rod and try to fish pike and pan fish from shore. Thank you!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Fly Fishing or Casting?

Post by IncaRoads »

Check out the following link for a classic thread on Isle Royale fishing with various rods.
Link--->viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3306
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Where do you plan to camp on the Island?
willieborwege
NewbieCake

Post by willieborwege »

johnhens wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:41 am Where do you plan to camp on the Island?
I am one of the friends he mentioned and we were thinking S. Desor, Todd Harbor, McCargoe Cove, and Chippewa. Any suggestions for those locations or anything on the way?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Lake Desor is officially devoid of game fish. There have been some very minor anecdotal contradictions to this. A greater number of failed fishing anecdotes supports the report. (Lot's a leeches though.)

Todd Harbor is a fairly typical north shore location with rocky cliffs. Instead of a stream it has a small waterfall. There are not shallow areas easily reachable from shore but there is a small dock that might produce a Lake Superior species, maybe a Lake Trout or Salmon, depending on water temperatures.

Both McCargoe Cove and Chippewa can be productive. Even though they are Lake Superior waters, your chances for Northern are good, especially in weedy shallow areas. Your best bet for success along your route would be a stop at Lake Ritchie. It might be the most productive spot for Northern.

I would leave your fly fishing rods at home. There are no real rivers on The Island with the possible exception of Big Siskiwit River. Almost every stream or creek that might produce a Brook Trout is so small, over grown or under cover that fly fishing would be very difficult even with a canoe or boat. Washington Creek might be an exception, but in the Spring, this and other similar places can often be the nesting locations for Loons, thus putting them off limits.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013