Canoe rental?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

suydam
NewbieCake

Canoe rental?

Post by suydam »

We're trying to plan a trip to the Island this summer. I've been by sea kayak and I've hiked, but we've never canoed inland lakes there. Last summer we did 10 days in the Boundary Waters and it was great, so that's given us the idea to try the same at Isle Royale.

One problem: I cannot find a canoe livery that does multi-day rentals. In Ely (for the BWCA) there were probably 6 places within a mile of each other that rented for multi-day excursions. Thus far I've been unable to get this done in the UP.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've tried Keweenaw Adventures in Copper Haprbor, the park itself (Rock Harbor), and googled the heck out of other places that seem to be focused on day-trips down rivers.

If you've rented, coming from Michigan specifically, where?

Thanks!
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Re: Canoe rental?

Post by kolo »

Sounds like you are arriving via the UP. If you were going through Grand Portage, I would highly recommend Bear Track Outfitters located in Grand Marais. They have been very good in renting what I needed on several canoe trips to the Isle.

https://www.bear-track.com/
suydam
NewbieCake

Post by suydam »

Yeah, UP is much easier for us in terms of getting to Copper Harbor vs. Grand Portage (though we went that way in the past and loved MN's northshore).
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

There is an outfitter in Watersmeet, MI that caters to the Sylvania Wilderness Area. I don't know if they have any policy against Isle Royale. There are other outfitters further east towards Newberry.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:18 pm There is an outfitter in Watersmeet, MI that caters to the Sylvania Wilderness Area. I don't know if they have any policy against Isle Royale. There are other outfitters further east towards Newberry.
Sylvania Outfitters http://www.sylvaniaoutfitters.com/index.html. I've rented from them for an I.R. trip before. Not exactly on the way from everywhere, but you could make it work from anywhere. Luckily we were coming and going from our family cabin not too far away.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:18 pmSylvania Outfitters. Not exactly on the way from everywhere, but you could make it work from anywhere.
Nowhere in the U.P. is close to anything it seems, but that's what makes it so great of course. With a population density of only 19 people per square mile, if it were it's own state it would be 45th in population density.

I always found it curious that Keweenaw Adventures, right next to the Queen Dock in Copper Harbor, promotes their kayak rentals to Isle Royale but disallow taking their canoes over. I think it's a liability issue fearing one will venture into the Big Lake with the canoe.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

Have you thought about buying a used canoe? May not be much different than renting, depending how long you have the rental. You would have a boat for future trips or sell it. Just a thought (:

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Ditto on Bear Track Outfitters in Grand Marais. We just rented a 42# kevlar canoe from them last week. Heavenly on the portages. And they'll fix you up with everything you need to carry it on top of your vehicle.

Another (less expensive) option is to rent a heavy aluminum canoe (over 90#?) at the Grand Portage boat dock.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

There have been times when the dockside rental folks will not rent small craft, because of weather conditions. Having a canoe you brought ensured that you will have one. Of course, use good judgement with regard to weather and paddling!