Best Lures for IR

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

willieborwege
NewbieCake

Best Lures for IR

Post by willieborwege »

Hi Everyone!

I have already gotten some advice on which poles to use and what lakes to fish on (more advice never hurts though). I was hoping to get some advice and insider secrets on what lures people like to use on the island what they have the most success with. Would love to hear about popular colors too! I am going in May and will be fishing in Todd Harbor, McCargoe, Ritchie, Moskey, and Chippewa.

Thanks!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Best Lures for IR

Post by johnhens »

What are you fishing for? Shore or out of a boat?
willieborwege
NewbieCake

Post by willieborwege »

I will be shore fishing. Don't know much about the conditions at the locations I mentioned so knowing what to expect with fishing from shore would be nice to know as well. Hoping to catch pike but not totally concerned about the species, just want to get some action.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

johnhens will guide you well. I took his advice and caught a fish once ;). Spoons, spinners, rapala, he'll provide you the specifics.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

A 6' or 7' medium spinning rod would be good. At least 10# test line. 12" wire leader w/ swivel 20# test minimum. If you could only take 1 lure, a daredevil 5/8 oz. 5 of Diamonds. Barbs pinched. I usually replace treble with single hook. I also have Mepps Fury (squirrel tail) w/ gold blade and silver blade #4. #9 jointed perch rapala. There are lots of spoons out there including Silver Minnow, Doctor Spoons, ect that will catch pike. Some folks like spinnerbates. I would take topwater baits too ( blast to catch northern on). Torpedo and the like. Forceps for removing hooks. Fly fishing for pike is a blast.