Kayaks - how long is too long?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

loblazer
NewbieCake

Kayaks - how long is too long?

Post by loblazer »

Hi all! A group of buddies are planning a kayak trip with our boys (10-12yrs) We will all be using tandem kayaks. We are wanting to spend a week and make a loop through Wittlesey, Siskiwit, Intermediate, Ritchey, to Moskey. The adults will portage while the kids carry gear.

My question from the subject, how much trouble is a 22-23 ft kayak going to be on the inland water?

Thanks!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Kayaks - how long is too long?

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the forum!
I would say it depends on how you intend to portage them. As you may have read, wheeled portage devices are not permitted, so then it becomes a question of a tandem carry or not. A few of the portages you will encounter (Chippewa to Whittlesey, Intermediate to Ritchie come to mind) have some steep sections that would really throw off your balance if you needed to single carry and get up or down the hill without the bow or stern hitting the path. However, if you're going to tandem carry (at least in those spots) I think you'll be OK.
There are also a few tight spots, but nothing many boats before you haven't gotten through.
loblazer
NewbieCake

Re: Kayaks - how long is too long?

Post by loblazer »

Thanks for the info Tom!