Monster Lake Trout

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Monster Lake Trout

Post by johnhens »

A netting survey to determine how Lake Trout are doing, nabbed a big Redfin near Isle Royale.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 268920001/
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Monster Lake Trout

Post by Tom »

johnhens wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:37 am ...to determine how Lake Trout are doing...
...I'd say that one is doing just fine!

Imagine catching that if you were out in the kayak or a canoe. (I did catch one heck of a monster northern in Wood Lake several years back, and we had no way to get it into the canoe. The only option was to get it tired and slowly get the lure out of it's mouth with my pliers.)
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Tom wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:43 pm
johnhens wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:37 am ...to determine how Lake Trout are doing...

Imagine catching that if you were out in the kayak or a canoe. (I did catch one heck of a monster northern in Wood Lake several years back, and we had no way to get it into the canoe. The only option was to get it tired and slowly get the lure out of it's mouth with my pliers.)
We were fishing the west end of Siskiwit (called mean fish bay by long time IR folks). She hooked a Northern. When one of us (3 of us at this point) hooked a fish, one of the others would paddle over to help unhook the fish. I watched this fish start pulling her kayak. Our friend Dan came over too. We got the fish into shore to unhook it. We had released a 40" pike shortly before this. I was trying to get a tape next to the fish when it decided it had enough. I measured about 44". The fish jerked, I pulled my hand back to avoid the fine set of teeth. I could not get ahold of it and it swam away. Part of me was mad, part of me was glad, that size fish should be returned to assure continued big fish like that. I was flyfishing Duncan Bay (different trip) I was watching the pike follow the fly back to the boat. At one point, the fish following scattered and a big pike was following my fly. I jerked the fly out of the water, I thought I don't want to tangle with this one as Tricia and Dan were working on releasing a fish on his line.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Tom wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:43 pm

A 20" lake trout will tow you around like nobody's business. I couldn't imagine hooking into that beast!