Malone Bay kayak day trips?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

bobcat
Bushwacker

Malone Bay kayak day trips?

Post by bobcat »

I will be on Isle Royale in mid-August, doing a 2-week kayak circuit on protected water. Making conservative choices about what I choose to paddle on the big lake, and mostly doing the inland canoe routes all linked up. Paddling a 15-ft Feathercraft.

If I am camping for several days at Malone Bay, wondering about good destinations for some near-shore exploring if I portage over from Siskiwit Lake. There are some nearby islands, but I haven’t seen much info about the area.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Malone Bay kayak day trips?

Post by treeplanter »

We stayed at Malone for several days back in the 90's. I was paddling a 17' Klepper double with a solo-seat in the middle of the boat.

You can easily spend a day, maybe longer, exploring Siskiwit lake. The east end is very different from the west end. One afternoon, we paddled to the west end, beached our boats, and hiked up to Ishpeming Point.

The Wright Island area in Malone Bay is close and is a safe paddle. There are smaller islands to explore too.

The weather cooperated one day so we paddled over to Menagerie Island and explored the Isle Royale Lighthouse. A very interesting place to see if you have the time. The windows of the lighthouse are boarded up, but not locked, so you can get inside if you want. And you can climb the stairway to the top of the light for a view of the Island that most folks will never get to see.

We wanted to paddle over to Houghton Point, but the weather turned so we lost our chance. Ditto for a planned trip to Hay Bay, we were weathered out.

Enjoy your paddle. Malone Bay may be my favorite spot on the Island.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Wright Isle may be closed due to Bald Eagles nesting, though you are going in August. Malone, Hat and Ross are easy to get to and protected if the lake is kicking up. As you are portaging over from Siskiwit, go straight to the water when you see the shelters. There is a gravel "beach" there, though with the high water, may not be much of a beach. Good place to launch into Malone Bay. Have a good trip!!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Thought I had a picture of the entire beach that John is recommending, but I just have a partial. It would be a great place to launch if it isn't underwater.