Coaster Brook Trout Fishing

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Coaster Brook Trout Fishing

Post by Grandpa »

This week's episode of "Michigan Out of Doors" has a segment on fishing for Coaster Brook Trout on Isle Royale. It's the first 14 minutes of the show.

I'm not a fisherman, but I still found it interesting.

You can view it here:
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Coaster Brook Trout Fishing

Post by jrwiesz »

I watched it last Thursday on my local PBS. Great to hear the sub-species' recovery; you are now able to keep one a day, in ones creel!

They used to be, I believe, catch and release only. Time to go catch 'em!

Isle Royale Rocks!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

Coasters aka brook trout are still catch and release on Isle Royale and the Lake Superior water within 4.5 miles from shore.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Base654,

Thanks for the clarification. 8)

In that episode of "Michigan Out of Doors", they gave me, and possibly others, the impression that you could now keep one. :?:

They didn't clarify, "keep one outside of Isle Royale National Park waters". If they did, I missed it. :!:

They did, however, release all the fish they caught, even the brown trout.

They talked about barbless hooks required. It appeared to me that they were fishing either Tobin Harbor, or the Five Fingers areas.

It was great to see an episode about/on Isle Royale.

Isle Royale Rocks!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Their campsite appeared to be Duncan Narrows.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Bobcat1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:32 am Their campsite appeared to be Duncan Narrows.
Bobcat1,

I haven't had the pleasure of that camp...yet. :shock:

I believe they were eating fish, my thoughts; they most likely were pike, or other non-salmonid. :?:

It sure appeared to be an enjoyable way to get stranded on a fishing trip. Hoping the winds blow so you have to stay another day. :D
Jim DuFresne
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Bobcat1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:32 amTheir campsite appeared to be Duncan Narrows.
Sure looks like it. Matches up well with some older pics I took when I was last there. The water is much higher though.
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

While waiting for sea plane, got this image. Pretty much the first cast he caught this coaster and was extremely happy telling me this was on his bucket list for many years. He gave me his email and I sent him a couple of shots but never heard back from him.
Attachments
IMG_6163t1.jpg
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times