Trout Fishing on the island

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

eeackley
NewbieCake

Trout Fishing on the island

Post by eeackley »

I plan on visiting isle royale this summer and was was planning on doing some trout fishing and i was wondering the best places to try.Mostly streams because i only plan to wade i my be able to pack a float tube if i have the room. Thanks.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Trout Fishing on the island

Post by Ingo »

eeackley wrote:I plan on visiting isle royale this summer and was was planning on doing some trout fishing and i was wondering the best places to try.Mostly streams because i only plan to wade i my be able to pack a float tube if i have the room. Thanks.
There apparently are trout in some streams, but few are very accessible (heavily overgrown). Don't think any are large enough for a float tube. Note that there's strict restrictions on Coaster Brook Trout--it's encouraged not to even fish them, although the legal possesion limit is 2. http://www.nps.gov/archive/isro/fishing.htm
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
eeackley
NewbieCake

Post by eeackley »

Ya i have been reading a book that said that there may be some trout in streams, but i think that the book is some years old. I plan on trying a float tube trip in one of the lakes for some pike with a fly any suggestions and what lake or anybody that has experience in this area would be great. Thanks for the feedback.
potato sausage
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by potato sausage »

I have had success fishing trout in Washington Creek near Windigo. Try the mouth of the creek where it flows into Washington Harbor and follow the creek up, there are some good holes in there (depending on the water levels). Nothing special, but I was able to catch some small Brookies in there with light spinning tackle. Mepps sizes 0 & 1 and small Blue Foxes should work. I'm not a fly fisherman, but my brother had some success fly fishing in there as well.

I'm not sure on what route you plan on taking, but if you are looking for some lakes to try your float tube, try Richie and Chickenbone. The Pike fishing is pretty good in these lakes and they can be relatively easy to fish from shore. Both are accessable from trails and have campsites. I have had a lot of success fishing these two lakes from both shore and canoe. If you stay at McCargo Cove, try around the campsite and around the mouth of the creek flowing in from Chickenbone. There are BIG pike in there! This will require a Michigan Great Lakes License though. Feldtman is a good pike lake also, but I have never fished it. That's on the agenda for my 2009 trip!

I fished Desor once without success, but it could be worth a try if it is on your route. Never fished Hatchet, I believe I read somewhere that it doesn't have fish? Maybe someone with more experience with this lake could elaborate.

Enjoy!
eeackley
NewbieCake

Post by eeackley »

thanks for all in information i really appreciate all of you taking the time out to help a first timer. I am torn because i am a fisherman and i want to bring all of these rods but i simply don't have the room. I think I'm going to try the fly rod just for fun and i may take your word on the mouth of Washington creek hopefully ill tie into some brookies. thanks again for the help.