Route help for 5 day trip

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

shaun
NewbieCake

Route help for 5 day trip

Post by shaun »

Planning my first trip to the Island this summer. Will be coming from the MN side and planing on 5 days with 3 others. Plenty of experience canoeing the BWCA but not much in the way of kayaking.

Should I even consider kayaking being new to the sport? Any suggestions on route would be most appreciated?

I have the "bible" on it's way from Dusquesne but wanted to get some firsthand suggestions.

Thanks very much
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Route help for 5 day trip

Post by johnhens »

shaun, welcome to the forums.
A few ???s
What kind of kayaks will you and your friends be paddling?
When you say 5 days, is that getting dropped off and then 5 days till you get picked up?
I assume the Voyageur?
What time of year?
shaun
NewbieCake

Post by shaun »

johnhens, thanks for the quick reply.

Most likely light kevlar canoes rented in Grand Portage or Windigo. Voyageur is correct.
heard best time is in August from what I've read.

5 days I just threw out there but many details still need to be arranged. how long would the Mccargoe cove to Chippewa harbor take?
shaun
NewbieCake

Post by shaun »

Sorry, no idea on what kayaks to get if I should even bother based on the potential conditions I 've read about.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hey Shaun,
McCargoe to Chippewa thru the inland lakes is a good trip for 5 days. Here's a link to my trip report from a few years ago.
http://web.mac.com/ingonet/iWeb/IR2002/Main.html
I'd do the same campgrounds again myself. The advantage of the Intermediate and Whittlesey campgrounds (the ones we skipped) is that you're more likely to have them to yourself, and Whittlesey has the best walley fishing. No need for kayaks, in fact they'd be a pain with the portaging.

McCargoe to Rock Harbor is also a great trip--pretty leisurely for 5 days and minimal portaging, except for the last one. There's one stretch of water that's totally open to the big lake, from the entrance of McCargoe Cove to Pickeral Cove. I think it's about 2 miles, so you don't need a huge weather window, but you do want to be careful. The areas from Belle Isle to Lane Cove and at the entrance of Stockly Bay are open to a NE wind, but somewhat protected from the lake swells by reefs. I'm hoping to do this trip myself, canoeing. I have no problems recommending this to experienced canoeists, but do be careful and use good sense in the open areas. Also, make sure you have compasses in every canoe, as fog can roll in without warning. We left Belle Isle in pea soup once and had to navigate by compass.

I've rented kevlar canoes from Bear Track Outfitters in Grand Marais twice and can recommend them. I don't know of any lightweight canoes to rent on the island.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

If you haven't done some serious kayaking before, IR is probably not a good place to start. You would be limited to interior coves and protected harbors. Any open water crossings, i.e. around Blake Point, Daisy Farm to Chippewa, etc. would be a bad idea for a first timer.

If you've done a lot of canoeing, I second the McCargo to Chippewa Harbor trip. All interior, lakes aren't so big as to be effected by high winds, and an easy drop off and pick up point. Plus, you'd avoid an overnight in Rock Harbor.

If you are going to do the kayak thing, start now. Get to as many "demo days" as you can and get your paddle school in. IR by kayak is a beautiful place to go. Just be well prepared.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I second Ingo's suggestion about the inner lakes (my trip report is here: http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=355)

While I have nothing against those who paddle big water, or the idea of it, both weather and inexperience can be major threatening factors. These two things won't affect you so much inland.

Ingo and I did the same route. It's one that you can adjust to your time demands, passing campsites along the way or hitting each for two days to stretch it out. One could possibly do the entire thing in a day or two, but I don't know why.

I've never done that northeast route, so can't address it.

The advantage to having boats on the island is that you see some really cool stuff, can get to some remote places, and find some great fishing, as long as the fish are agreeable. The disadvantages are the price of ferrying them, portaging them, and more dependence on the weather. While it is more to portage, I prefer kayaks because we can go our own ways when fishing, and because it's what is sitting in my garage, until spring.

Whatever you choose to do, inland lakes vs. Superior, backpack/paddle, I hope you have a great time.
shaun
NewbieCake

Post by shaun »

Thanks so much for all the advice and suggestions!! Can't wait to check it out.

One more thing: what's the best time to go? Would after labor day be a decent time to avoid the crowds?
Rob513
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Rob513 »

After Labor Day is a great time to avoid "crowds". There are more significant weather events the later you wait though. This site gives you some historical data. High winds can create hazardous conditions on inland lakes too. I like to plan one non-travel day for every 4-5 days when paddling. That way you don't feel pushed when the wind kicks up and can enjoy the trip more.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/isro/climtabl.htm
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

Last August I did a 5 day trip. Started at RH and ended at RH going through the interior lakes.

RH to Moskey
Moskey to Lake Richey
Rickey to McCargoe
McCargo to Lane Cove
Lane Cove to RH

Wish we would of stayed somewhere else the last night instead of RH but a hot shower and cheeseburger was very nice.

The open streches of water from Belle Isle to Pickeral cove weren't too bad......too bad. We had 3 foot rollers coming in that made us have to paddle out about 100 yards past Indian point before we could make the turn back towards shore and safety....a little scary but not bad. The next 2 miles could be rough if you get some bad weather, like I said we had 3 foot rollers and they kind of helped push us the rest of the way to Pickeral but we had to paddle a ways out into them before cutting back, you are a ways off shore and it is a tad deep....the wife was not the calmest person out there that day

This August we are going back and pretty much doing the same exact trip but we will be taking more time, at least 7 days, way too much moving/portaging and not enough fishing