Canoe wanted to buy

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Canoe wanted to buy

Post by colvinch »

Looking for a new/used canoe for sale in Michigan. Would like lightweight ~50lbs. Anyone know of any out there or that could point me in the right direction. thanks

Chris
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Canoe wanted to buy

Post by Ingo »

If you want < 50 lbs, you're looking at Kevlar and the accompanying $$$.

I've rented the kevlar Souris River Quetico 17 for an I.R. trip and LOVED it! http://www.sourisriver.com/ If I ever have the dough, I'll buy one. And if I have any choice, I'll continue to rent these. Best tripping canoe I've used. Light, stable, and easy to paddle. Tracks well, but still turns. Had it in 2 ft waves and was dry and in control. Limited dealerships though. The main U.S. dealer is in Ely, Mn. They also list one in Eagle River, WI. I rented mine from Sylvannia Outfitters in Watersmeet, MI (U.P.). Might check with them about used ones.

I've also rented a couple of kevlar Wenonahs for trips (the Minnesota and Spirit). In my opinion the Souris River has much better construction and better handling. The Spirit is a general purpose canoe and tracks like (add expletive), although it's stable. The Minnesotas are fast, but not so great in big water. They slice thru the waves, which tend to then come over the gunwales and into the boat, like on Lake Siskiwit. And not so stable.

If you can't afford Kevlar, I'd look at an ABS boat like the Old Town Camper. It's a general purpose canoe, and fine for trips, but I don't believe them when they say 60 lbs. though. I'd consider it for all round paddling, including rivers and some white water. ABS boats have alot of bottom flexing, but they're almost indestructible. Good on rocks, not so good for speed. Folks tend to dismiss them as tripping canoes, but they're fine. Unless you're racing for something or paddling 20 miles a day. Don't know much about aluminum ones anymore--they're virtually non-existent in N.C.

[So I posted this then noticed your pic with the canoe! Probably rambled on more than you were looking for :)]
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Actually Ingo, the info is important for folks like me contemplating a future canoe trip.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
DaveH
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by DaveH »

I have an Old Town Stillwater model, 12' long, Fiberglass, about 35#, 2 seats. It's very stable. Old Town also makes a one seat canoe called the Pack that weighs 33# and is made of Royalex.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Two years later I am still filled with regret over selling my Old Town Pack. What a lovely boat it was.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I own a Wenonah Escape, 17.5 ft and 43 lbs. I love it and would not trade it for anything. It is a tandem canoe made of kevlar. I had a 3rd seat installed in the middle so I can use it for solo trips too. That way I did not have to buy 2 different canoes. I have used it in big water with pretty fair waves and was very pleased with how it handled. My very first trip with it was to Isle Royale in the fall of 2006 to Chippewa Harbor. I knew that this canoe was great after having to paddle in the dark from the far end of the harbor coming from lake Whittlesey using our headlamps as the only light to get back to CH campground. A bond was formed for sure on that trip.
"The Island Is Calling"