Finally getting back!

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Finally getting back!

Post by Ingo »

Made reservations on the Voyageur II for a father/daughter canoe trip. It's been 9 yrs since we've gone together, the last a backpacking trip cut short by her (now) husband's broken wrist. And 12 yrs since the two of us have done a canoe trip together, so it's been too long. My last trip at all was '18, so I've been really itching in any case. Heck, I start itching for the next on my way home...

Taking the VII to Chippewa Harbor (6/14-15) and getting picked up at Malone Bay on 6/20, so have 5 days to travel what I've done in 1. Figure my decaying body can still handle at least 1 portage a day.
- Realized as I was making reservations that this will be the first time I've taken the VII around Blake Pt to RH since my first summer in '78. I'm always getting off at McCargoe or Belle Isle.
- Daughter hasn't done any inland lakes before, so it's new territory for her.
- I haven't camped at Whittlesey, so that will be a first. Could pop into Intermediate, too, just to check it off the list, but doubt it'll feel that important once we get there--especially if we're already camped at Wood Lake, which is great.
- Been wanting to revisit Wood Lake.
- Have passed on Ryan's Island a couple times due to time or weather. So plan to finally visit the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the largest lake in the world.
- Neither of us fish much, but will probably carry a little gear since we'll be on inland lakes and have plenty of time. Maybe the lake trout will be up top on Siskiwit.
- Would like to visit Wright Island in Malone Bay, weather permitting. Also have dreams of paddling out to Menagerie Island (but just a dream--know that's not happening in an open canoe...)
- Can everyone please send out good vibes for a NE wind that week? Seems like it's always on my nose, regardless of which way I'm heading :roll: .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Finally getting back!

Post by hooky »

That sounds like a great 5+ days with your daughter. Color me green with envy. I'll be rooting hard for favorable winds.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Sounds like a great trip - exactly what my son and I did on our first visit to IR in 2018 (though the wind was up and we didn't attempt paddling out to Wright Island).

The portage into Whittlesey from Chippewa is rocky and meandering, with a bit of up and down - - hopefully you have a nice light canoe to portage. The Whittlesey campsite isn't amazing, but we didn't see another soul for the 2 nights we spent there. We did see moose, were entertained by loons, and caught more northerns than we could eat. Fishing about 6-8 feet deep beside the rocky drop-off of the islands across from the campsite was successful, as well as just casting and trolling in the west end of the lake at about the same depth.

It's an easy portage from Whittlesey to the paradise of Wood Lake. I can think of no spot I'd rather be in all the world than sitting atop that bluff at the Wood Lake campsite. Say hello to the moose, otters, beaver, and loons for us.

We camped at Intermediate in 2019. Easy portage in from Siskiwit. The campsite is set back a bit in a nice wooded area with an elevated tent pad. We saw no one else there either, other than a friendly snowshoe hare that hopped into camp and eyed us curiously for quite a while. There was plenty of moose scat all around, and a couple of big crashes 30-50 yards off, but we didn't actually see any moose there.

Leave a few fish in the lakes - we'll be back through at the end of July.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I hope you have a great trip!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

backwoods doc wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:07 am The portage into Whittlesey from Chippewa is rocky and meandering, with a bit of up and down - - hopefully you have a nice light canoe to portage.
Yup, have done it a couple times. Have a kevlar canoe :D . I did slip on a rock and end up on my knees underneath it (just before Whittlesey) the last time. But no harm no foul. It was raining all day that day.
backwoods doc wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:07 am The Whittlesey campsite isn't amazing, but we didn't see another soul for the 2 nights we spent there. We did see moose, were entertained by loons, and caught more northerns than we could eat. Fishing about 6-8 feet deep beside the rocky drop-off of the islands across from the campsite was successful, as well as just casting and trolling in the west end of the lake at about the same depth.
I've only just paddled through, and have fished along the way, but never had any luck, despite others' reports--shows what kind of fisherman I am :roll: . Thanks for the tips!
backwoods doc wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:07 amIt's an easy portage from Whittlesey to the paradise of Wood Lake. I can think of no spot I'd rather be in all the world than sitting atop that bluff at the Wood Lake campsite. Say hello to the moose, otters, beaver, and loons for us.
Why we may just skip Whittlesey (again)... will see.
backwoods doc wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:07 am Leave a few fish in the lakes - we'll be back through at the end of July.
HA! No problem there!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Sending good vibes your way Ingo! May the wind always be at your back!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

May you have fair winds and following seas.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013