Trout fishing from a canoe on the bays of the Northeastern shores

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

kypaulfg
NewbieCake

Trout fishing from a canoe on the bays of the Northeastern shores

Post by kypaulfg »

Do you have any favorite locations for Trout fishing from a canoe on the bays of the Northeastern shores?
Specifically Five Finger Bay, Green Island, Belle Isle and Robinson Bay, Duncan Bay, Pickerel Cove, Lane Cove and East of Pete Island.
Also any lures and or methods that work the best there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Trout fishing from a canoe on the bays of the Northeastern shores

Post by Ingo »

I've caught exactly 1, so let that speak to my expertise :D : Trolling the western reef off of Johnson Island in Belle Harbor with a blue cleo. Also had one casting off the dock at Merritt Lane, but lost it (also blue cleo). Water temps were 38. When surface temps are up, the trout go deep and jigging probably works better (from what I'm told), esp in a canoe. Talk to the campground hosts at Belle Isle, they knew where folks were having luck. And of course any fisherman you run into, although they're often fishing offshore. And don't discount the northern pike in those bays.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Trout fishing from a canoe on the bays of the Northeastern shores

Post by johnhens »

kypaulfg wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:14 am Do you have any favorite locations for Trout fishing from a canoe on the bays of the Northeastern shores?
Specifically Five Finger Bay, Green Island, Belle Isle and Robinson Bay, Duncan Bay, Pickerel Cove, Lane Cove and East of Pete Island.
Also any lures and or methods that work the best there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We met a couple canoing while on Belle. They fished the reefs off Belle, towards Johnson, jigging a 4" white grub with a 1/4 oz jighead and caught a lake trout. Time of year makes a difference as lake trout go deep as the waters warm.